 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6507
Re: Using MPD syntax in official part files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 23:04:28 GMT

First of all, let me say that while my previous post probably implied that I’m against allowing MPDs as parts, I am in fact still open to the possibility. I’m just not sure I’m completely convinced by the arguments given so far.

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   One reason I think it is potentially bad to make subfiles private via MPD is that even if the subfile is only used for geometry specific to a single part, having it be private in an MPD makes it unusable for patterned versions of that part.

Using a subfile to empower patterned part files means the subfile is not specific to a single part. And why couldn’t subfiles be MPD? Maybe I’m not getting your point here.

The only place you’re allowed to access the contents of an MPD are inside the MPD itself. So, lets take the minifig head as an example. You wouldn’t be able to put its “everything but the face region” subpart into an MPD, because the only logical candidate for the MPD file is the top-level part. But if the sub-part is in the MPD, it’s only available to that single top-level part. Subfiles themselves could be MPD; you just can’t hide the subfiles used by patterned parts in an MPD. Am I making more sense now?

--Travis