 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6511
Re: Using MPD syntax in official part files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 01:42:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote:
Yeah, I checked it out the first time it was mentioned.  I even poked
around in the LDView CVS archives for a few minutes looking for hints
of the magic syntax before the Walled Garden stuff got posted.  Looks
very promising!  I guess I'm finally gonna have to crack open that
OpenGL Shading Language book gathering dust bunnies in the corner if
I want to keep the lowest common denominator LDraw editor up to snuff.
Well, maybe slightly below the good snuff...

I like your thinking! :)

But Shader Language programming is really more along the lines of what we'll
need for the next step I'd like to see: gloss maps.  Those will allow shiny
paint on torsos (for instance) to shine in the light, making gold, silver, and
copper shiny parts do their proper thing.

Far advanced, and not necessary for the current round of improvements.

TEXMAP is OpenGL 101 level, pure and simple.

I do actually have a facebook account and would've asked a few questions
about the syntax, but I have trouble with the facebook interface.  It
confuses me, like trying to converse in a large chatty crowd.  Plus I
figure I'm most likely part of the problem here at lugnet.  Asking so
many questions, slowing down the rate of progress, and all that.

Questions got the syntax to a workable state. I actually developed another
syntax extension (still not released or under consideration, requires
large-scale -- but minor -- changes to a large portion of the library, best left
otherwise unmentioned here), so I had SOME experience with improving LDRAW
without breaking it; but we had a full-fledged proof of just about every major
decorated part of LEGO, and many minor ones, plus gradients and other
alpha-channel tricks, and we thought we were ready to roll.  It took questions
from Travis and Leonardo Zide to get us to rethinking some of our approach and
even adjust it to get the syntax that's ready to be beat on at this point.  And
even though those feel nicely cooked, I bet there's still a "gotcha!" or two out
there waiting to be discovered...

     -- joshuaD