 Technic / 6735
Re: Is "traditional" Technic being killed off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:00:24 GMT

Some great points have been made here. I actually really like most of the
new parts (particularly the various axle connectors), but it does seem that
the functionality of the average Technic model is less advanced than that of
five years ago. The new parts can be very useful in a number of tight
situations; for example, take a look at some of the internal construction
that goes into some of the new models. The two assemblies in the areas
between the wheels on the 8466 4x4 Off-roader really amazed me when I first
built them; everything fit together so well, if you know what I mean. These
new models are lighter and much stronger than the old pieces could ever have
made them. I think this is because the new ones basically rely on axle and
friction peg connections, whereas the old ones used studs for holding things
together. The studs are definitely easier to use, but cannot compete with
the stability that friction peg/axle/axle connector/studless beam networks
offer. The only parts that I don't really like are the various decorative
panels, since they seem somewhat flimsy and do not attach to the model as
well as some of the other parts do.

I personally prefer models with a good mix of both the new and the old
pieces. The 8462 Super Tow Truck was one of my favorite models as far as the
construction/design quality goes; the traditional beams and half-width and
bent studless beams seemed to fit together very well and form a solid
integrated whole. The appearance had a great combination of curves and
angled edges, and this is the type of model I would like to see from Lego in
the future.

Regarding the boxes, I personally liked the older box design that was used
in 1987-1998 years. The color selection sort of gave the products a very
distinctive look and along with the flap design, I remember really wanting
some of those badly in my early childhood right when I saw the boxes. (this
was around 1988 or so) The new color scheme is not that bad and is quite
comparable to other toys, but IMHO they have taken a step backwards on this
front.

The oldest Technic sets I have are 1988 models so I cannot comment on
anything before that, but I think Lego was definitely improving on their
general designs until 1999, where all of the models were significantly
different from those of the preceding years. (and in many ways, for the
worse) Still, I have hopes for the future of Technic.

-Gaurav Thakur
cp5670@comcast.com
http://cp5670.250x.com/TC/