 Technic / 6672
Re: Is "traditional" Technic being killed off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:52:21 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message news:qrdg03zfdgp.fsf@eos.uio.no...

On the subject of the traditional technic beams, you can still find
them in newish sets like 8458 and 8466.

Yes, but how long will this continue, I wonder.

You can hardly construct a
large, stable chassis without them, so I don't see how they can go
away.

I must disagree.  In fact, I can construct a very rigid chassis of
arbitrary size using the smooth beams, half beams, lift arms, axles,
angle "bricks", and angled beams.  Frankly I actually like these new
parts and rather enjoy coming up with new ways to connect them.
However, I too am saddened to see the old system being depricated.

I think we must face reality: there is no technical reason why they
need the studded beams anymore -- at least not to build large technic
models.  The parts will remain a good way to connect the newer parts
I listed above to brick based models or substructures (but definitely
not the only way) so I expect them to last a while for that purpose.