 Technic / 6676
RE: Is "traditional" Technic being killed off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:57:26 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ray Sanders writes:
Dino Head Attack had 7 technic bricks in it (including a 1x16 in black), • Gungan
Sub had 2 1x16s in blue, four in the droid dev kit, etc. So the pcs are • out
there, just bits here and there.

Ray

I'm not denying that there are SOME traditional Technic parts out there but
they are few and far between (except for in RIS sets).  You will spend a
small fortune in trying to obtain a quantity comparable to what you used to

SNIP (to save space)

are of such limited use as to be near useless.  Meanwhile, the reallyuseful
parts - that span across product lines - are so rare as to be near extinct.

Hear, hear! I'll agree with all of that and put myself up to be shot at as
well!

Happened to be in a very well known large department store in London, UK
today ...

5yr old comes back with Mum, and doesn't even get the first word in
Mum "What horrible stuff!  We don't want any of that do we?"

What was she looking at? plastice creepy crawlies? dress up mask of Darth
Maul?  No a shelf of Lego Racers (the drome ones), Lego Bionicles and Lego
Aqua Zone placed at eye height.  All the 'good' - IMHO - stuff was either on
the top shelf (what I call the Technic Racers) on the bottom shelf (big
technic and studio) or round the corner (Mindstorms).

As she departed with son in tow - "What awful stuff, whatever happened to
the good old Lego?"

So, Lego has just lost two more customers.  The mother obviously, but
probably the kid as well as at that age most kids want their parents consent
and not their scorn (and I'm speaking from a position of knowledge here as I
have three in that age group myself)

Also picked up the Jan-July 2002 catalog, 76 pages, most 'themes' have a
triple page entry, 'pure' technic (ie non-racer, not bionicle, not starwars)
gets a single page for three models (silver champ, 4x4 and extreme off
roaders)!

Must dash, need to bulk buy old technic sets on eBay and BrinkLink!

William