 Technic / 6699
RE: Is "traditional" Technic being killed off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:50:28 GMT

regarding studded beams - In thinking about all of this, I expect that • the
new smooth beams are easier to mold - 2 piece molds with no inserts.  In
comparison, the old studded beams must be a 3 piece or use inserts for • the
holes.  So, it would seem that cost is a factor here - but at a huge
cost
in
product line compatability.  Is it worth it?

To a large extent I think these studless beams have been unfairly
criticised, and in all honesty I suspect a lot of this is due to people
being unfamiliar with their possibilities and use, myself included. Some • of
the newer lego models do remarkable things with these, and they can be put
to great use making very rigid and compact gear assemblies. Recently I've
used some in a fairly limited way for exactly this purpose and in many • cases
they are superior to the standard beams and braces approach.

Applying them does seem to take a lot of lateral thinking, or so it seems • to
me... perhaps I am just not familiar enough with the pieces to think about
them in a non-lateral way. And indeed there are some applications for the
studless beams that the studded ones cannot be used for, especially
non-fouling rotating joints.

In the near future I think I'll sit down with a bunch of these new parts • and
see what I can come up with as a way of learning the new system, I suppose
just like I did with the older stuff.

Jennifer

They make great booms for diggers and modern looking cab roofs I've found.

I'll get the photos/dat files up somewhere to show my interpretations of
your 'compact excavator' and 'bobcat'.  You can get much better clearance on
the studless beams for parts that rotate (like the pneumatic cylinders) as
you a) don't have the studs in the first place and b) if you do get some
touching the parts tend to slide rather than stick.

However, I'm very unhappy about the proliferation of these things and would
hate for them to kill off the old style beams.

William