 Technic / 6729
Re: Is "traditional" Technic being killed off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:34:34 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Koesel writes:

"John Heins" <Johnmhiii@aol.com> wrote in message news:Grv2G6.zH@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:

[snippage]

As stated before, just TRY to mount ANYTHING constructed out of new style
Technic pieces onto a base plate without using old style holed beams to
interface between the two. Without holed studded beams (even as small as
1x2) there is NO compatability between the current Technic line and bricks.

Not to beat this to death, but this is plainly false.

Here are some ways to connect non-studded technic parts to studded parts.

- simply stick the beam to a studded part using the holes in the beam
- 1x2 plate with female technic connector(s) underneath
- 1x2, 2x2, 2x4 brick with technic peg(s)
- 1x2 plate with peg (on bottom or top)
- 2x4 plate with pegs (may come in other sizes as well)
- angle brick, bushing, axle extender (et al) snapped vertically between
4 studs
- click hinge with female technic connector
- 1L peg with stud (there are hundreds of ways using this part alone)
- 3L technic axle with stud
- Alpha Team underwater windscreen (these are incredibly cool parts for
use with technic)
- Jack Stone chassis (beams, true, but not traditional ones)
- "Dinosaurs" abdomen, legs, appendages
- sandwich the beam between two plates (this gives you a way to
create a sliding motion without using tiles)

As an exercise, I recommend you try recreating a classic Technic model,
or a close likeness thereof, without using studded beams.  It can be a
very satisfying way to learn how to manipulate the new parts.

Cheers, Mark K

This subject is curiously similar to the "how do we connect znap to system"
issue. I posted some pictures of various ways of doing that on brickshelf ...

Ray