 Technic / 6667
Re: Is "traditional" Technic being killed off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:47:41 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Dave Johann writes:
In lugnet.technic, Allan Bedford writes:

If the evidence isn't there, it's certainly in the sets they're releasing.

Really? The demand to release sets that weren't exclsively vehicles has
existed for quite a while now. It's nice to see them finally taking notice
and giving the fans what they want-FEWER VEHICLES.

I agree.  I'm one of the one's complaining that they release so many
vehicle-related sets.  But the quality of design has fallen dramatically
over the years, there's little doubt.  So maybe they'd do better getting
back to vehicles.  :)

Which is nice if you can afford $120 plus sets.  But what about the kid >who
wants to get started in Technic but can't come up with that kind of coin?

Simple. They have to suffer just like the rest of us lower middle class folk
did when we wanted the larger sets. Save up the money-it's the only way to
buy what you have your eye on.

But this wasn't always the way.  The set I linked to below was an example of
a time when if you couldn't afford the Auto Chassic (the first Supercar) you
had options.  You could obtain some cool Technic parts in a small scale kit
that was functional and fun.

What ever happened to nice small realistic Technic (Expert Builder) >sets
like this:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/854

ICK! You would have to bring up one of my least favorite EB sets ever! That
design was bad even for 1977.

How is it bad design?  It's supposed to look like a go-cart; the type you go
to an amusement park and drive around in circles.  I think it looks exactly
like that.  And it does it without angled beams, flex tubing etc etc. It
uses LEGO bricks in an clever and creative way.

Regards,
Allan B.