 Technic / 6668
Re: Is "traditional" Technic being killed off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:04:27 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.technic, Dave Johann writes:
In lugnet.technic, Allan Bedford writes:

What ever happened to nice small realistic Technic (Expert Builder) >sets
like this:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/854

ICK! You would have to bring up one of my least favorite EB sets ever! That
design was bad even for 1977.

I wouldn't go THAT far but let's just say it's not a set that I see a strong
need to bring back.

I wasn't really suggesting it for the LEGENDS series, but rather presenting
it as an example of a small scale, small piece count Technic set that could
retail for less than $120.  Way way less than $120.

Not hardly. It's blocky,

Of course it's blocky.... it's made from LEGO blocks!  :)

Has it been so long since they put out sets with a majority of traditional
square and rectangular bricks that people forget that LEGO sets do, can and
aren't bad if they look a bit blocky sometimes?

it doesn't have a lot of neat
features, etc.

It has working steering.  Not much else, I agree.  But it does that with
only 200 pieces AND comes with instructions for an alternative model; a neat
looking motorcycle.  Which is also blocky looking of course.  :)

Now if you want to talk about a set from that era that was
good, how about this one:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/952

As I kid I never had much interest in farm machinery.  I guess it's personal
taste.  To my 9 year old brain that set doesn't look as much fun as the
go-kart.  The go-kart begs to be driven around the floor whilst making
"Vroom Vroom" noises.

Yes, 100 more pieces, higher price point, but this is a set that looks like
something I'd want to play with.

Again, personal taste I guess.

There are a lot of Technic sets that could be used to make the case that
Technic has gone downhill lately, but 854, IMHO is not one of them.

Well, then I'll throw that back to the group as a challenge.  If 854 isn't a
good example of a lower price point Technic set containing quality bricks
and Technic parts, then what is?  Let's bear in mind that this evolved from
someone suggesting that Technic parts were still out there and then
highlighting two large sets, both of which sell for $120 or more.

For my next suggestion, I'll throw out:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/850

Again, not to suggest rereleasing *this* set.  But presenting it as an
example of what has already been done.  Realistic Technic sets with small
piece counts at a reasonable price.  It can be done, because it has already
been done.

Let the games begin!

Regards,
Allan B.