 Technic / 6728
Re: Is "traditional" Technic being killed off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:32:57 GMT

"John Heins" <Johnmhiii@aol.com> wrote in message

As stated before, just TRY to mount ANYTHING constructed out of new style
Technic pieces onto a base plate without using old style holed beams to
interface between the two. Without holed studded beams (even as small as
1x2) there is NO compatability between the current Technic line and
bricks.

Forgive me if I am missing something obvious here, but it is possible to use
the holes in studless beams and liftarms to clip directly onto studs in
bricks and so on. Believe it or not I have actually used this for a proper
application too ;-)

I do agree that substantial supplies of traditional bricks are often
necessary as well, especially if you want to go for a Model Team style look
for your technic creations. I do think that the new style stuff can make
superb appearing models too however; for example the following creations
using a mix of old and new bricks by Fredrik Glockner; the latter seems to
use (almost) exclusively new bricks:

   http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/v4/race-blur-1024x768.jpg
   http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/versatile-chassis/v-misc1.gif
   http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/versatile-chassis/v-misc2.gif

I suppose it is a matter of perspective - when I showed a friend the 8448
supercar he said it was a poor model since it had so many special (read new
style) parts; I thought it was totally superb, partly for that reason!

Jennifer