 Technic / 6723
Re: Excavator Pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:21:51 GMT

In lugnet.technic, William Howard writes:

Whoosh!  The sound of that going completely over my head.  What on earth is
a kinematic singularity?  I'm a computer scientist not an engineer (took a
wrong turning at City Uni and ended up in the Comp block and not the Eng
block I think!)

Hi all,

It's my first post to the group so by way of an introduction I suppose,
there are a few pictures at www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=techgrl .

Jennifer, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a kinematic singularity a point
in the motion of a mechanism whereby the direction of the applied force is
exactly opposed by the final positions of the indirectly connected
components?  In other words, you get to a point where everything lines up
just right and the thing locks up.  A bit like trying to run a one-cylinder
engine without inertia?

William, that's some very nice MLCAD work.

Becky