 Technic / 6765
Re: Is "traditional" Technic being killed off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:59:47 GMT

I do agree that substantial supplies of traditional bricks are often
necessary as well, especially if you want to go for a Model Team style look
for your technic creations. I do think that the new style stuff can make
superb appearing models too however; for example the following creations
using a mix of old and new bricks by Fredrik Glockner; the latter seems to
use (almost) exclusively new bricks:

  http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/v4/race-blur-1024x768.jpg
  http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/versatile-chassis/v-misc1.gif
  http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/versatile-chassis/v-misc2.gif

I suppose it is a matter of perspective - when I showed a friend the 8448
supercar he said it was a poor model since it had so many special (read new
style) parts; I thought it was totally superb, partly for that reason!

Jennifer

Another example of the use of the new smooth technic beams is the
Caterham Super 7 replica by Neil Everett.  If you look at the pictures or
DAT files of the chassis, or the front suspension/steering assembly, you'll
see what I mean.  I've built this model from the DAT files (with some minor
tweaks), and I was amazed how stiff and neat the chassis design is.  True,
he still used traditional technic beams, but also lots of the new smooth
beams. Much lighter design than could ever be accomplished using traditional
beams.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/neil.everett/lego/Caterham/chassis.htm

As another example, I think the front and rear subframes of the 8466
Off-Roader are an amazingly compact and efficient design.  Using the new
parts can lead to lighter, stiffer, and more compact designs, than with
traditional beams.  The use of friction pegs for joining parts, in place of
studs, results in a stiffer and stronger joint too (in shear and in tension).

I've been building technic for 20 years now, and I think the new smooth
beams, and half-beams expecially, allow us to create things that you could
NEVER build with the old style beams.  Don't get me wrong; traditional beams
are still very useful, but the new ones open up a whole new world of
possibilites.  I think it will take time for everyone (myself included) to
learn how to design with the new pieces, and take full advantage of them.

I also agree with Jennifer on the 8448 supercar.  This was the set that made
me come out of my dark ages (which lasted most of the 90s).  I think it is
the most beautiful LEGO design ever made, which is mainly possible because
of the new parts and panels.  I subsequently bought the 8880 supercar too,
but was a little disappointed by it, especially when compared to the 8448.
It's a bit like buying a current-model sports car, and then going out and
buying a perfect-condition 1994 sports car.  The 1994 model is bound to look
a little bit dated than the new one.  But I guess that it comes down to
personal tastes as well.

John