 Technic / 6730
RE: Excavator Pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:20:06 GMT

the undercarriage took a very long time to solve.
The bit I had real trouble with was working out how to turn the turntable!
Mind you, I've spent an awful long time fiddling around with gear trains for
cat-tracks as I built a chassis that only needed one motor for forward/turn
by using one of those "sliding worm things" that when turned one way drive
one set of gears and the other a different set.  You rig the first set up to
turn the front sprocket wheels in the same direction and the other set to
turn the rear sprocket wheels in different directions.  So 'clockwise' on
the motor shaft gives 'forward' and 'anti-clockwise' gives 'skid turn right'
(OK so if you want to go backwards you have to turn 180 degree and go
forwards and if you want to turn 1 degree left you have to turn 359 degrees
right - but it was interesting!)

I do know however that the 'bobcat' bucket arm doesn't work as described • on
your web site.  I now have a load more 1x5, 1x6 and 1x7 liftarms so I may
redo it sometime to get the geometry right.

I noticed the problem, but had wondered if you had done it differently
deliberately. You've used a single 1x10 beam for the lower part of the boom
linkage; it should be a 1x8 beam with a 1x2 beam with two holes attached
onto the end with two 1x4 plates - unless you have this the geometry will • be
way off. There are some pictures here where you can just about see it:

I spent hours looking at those pics, I think I've gone up a notch on the
glasses perscription from it (probably too much wine over Christmas didn't
help either).  I shall definately go back and re-engineer this lift arm -
especially as I have my own set of instructions to work from!

William