 Star Wars / 9705
Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 20:58:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
Hardcore SW fans (no, I haven't done a scientific survey) feel that TPM
would have been a better movie without Jar-Jar.

What I mean by this is that I believe the following is true:  If you take a
random cross-section of the population and ask them to rate on a scale of 0
to 10 how strongly they feel they were a "Star Wars fan" in 1998 (prior to
the release of TPM, that is) -- with 0 being someone who hasn't seen the
original trilogy and 10 being someone who waits in line 2 days and owns all
the toys and spends every waking hour thinking, living, and breathing Star
Wars, and then you also ask them to rate on a scale of 0 to 10 how strongly
they loathe Jar-Jar -- with 0 being no dislike and 10 being the most intense
disgust, I think you'll see a strong correlation between the two.  That is,
generally speaking, the more that someone loved the original trilogy, the
more they hate Jar-Jar, and vice-versa.  I'd put myself at about a 7/10 on
both scales.  I'd seriously like to see a Special Edition of TPM with no
Jar-Jar or with a different CG face and voice.  But since that will never
happen, I'd like to see the SW fan community get together and release a small
"patch" to the movie that you can apply on top of it digitally to mask out
the official Jar-Jar voice and replace it with a new, more reasonable, less
annoying voice.

I've watched Episode I on tape *only once* in the past 6 months, and I think
a large part of the reason for that is because of Jar-Jar.  :-(  I feel bad
that I am not mentally strong enough to block him out and pretend that he's
not there.  Contrast this with the original trilogy (Episodes IV-VI), each of
which I've watched several times in the same time period.

(Can you tell I hate Jar-Jar?  :-)

--Todd