 Star Wars / 9706
Re: Distaste for Jar-Jar (was: The Censors have won.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 21:11:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
Maybe, rather than taking the "offensive" stuff out altogether, something
like this could accompany future comic strips right at the beginning, as
part of a disclaimer explaining that it is SATIRE against the offensive
marketing engine that dominated SW:TPM.  That way, for the humour-impaired
or non-hardcore SW fans, it could serve as a warning to read no further.

I'm a little disapointed in that coment. I don't think it's being humor
impaired to question the value of something which shows intolerance.

Ya, "humour-impaired" isn't an accurate phrase to use in this context -- it's
too loaded.  See last paragraph here:

   http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6892

I'll even admit that when I read the story, I laughed at Jar-Jar's beating
(though not nearly so much as the rest of the story). When Larry posted on
the subject, I thought about it, and found that I was wrong to laugh at it.
It isn't really funny. I don't think it's satire either. I think there would
be far more effective ways of expressing satire. I agree, Jar-Jar was an
almost nauseating character.

But it's not Jar-Jar being beaten -- that's only what you SEE.  What's going
on underneath is that it's making a statement against the Lucas marketing
juggernaut crapola that resulted in Jar-Jar and TPM being a lesser movie.
And people are just letting off steam about it.  (I suppose that would be
much clearer if the comic strips had disclaimers!)

I will be removing the link on my web page to the picture of Jar-Jar and
Timmy chained on a deserted island since I feel that that is no different
(though I got a much bigger laugh out of that one).

wow.

--Todd