 Off-Topic / Debate / 6960
6959  |  6961
Subject:
Jeez, everybody calm down!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 03:01:06 GMT

Greetings all,

It really shows what a diverse group we have when something like Dan's
posted story can cause a discussion to spiral so completely out of control.
I read Dan's story and found it kinda funny although, for myself, there did
seem to be an undercurrent of hostility regarding ex-wives and Jar-Jar.  I'm
not going to comment on the ex-wife factor since I know nothing about Dan's
personal life (it's certainly none of my business!).

But one thing I don't understand is how much people focus on Jar-Jar as the
big problem with Episode 1.  IMHO, there's a LOT more wrong with Episode 1
than just Jar-Jar.  I won't bother to discuss or list such things here
because everyone has their opinions and I don't want to spark another long
thread of discussion about a film that, for me, has about 10 minutes of
worthwhile screen time and the rest is, well, the rest is strictly for kids
(again, IMHO).

I responded to Larry's initial post agreeing with his assessment that the
story seemed a little mean-spirited, but I certainly don't consider that
"whining."  Just because some people find the material objectionable doesn't
mean there's anything wrong with it.  In fact, it usually means you've
provoked a reaction of some kind, which is usually a good thing.  Although,
I draw the line when some so-called "artist" wants to display his portrait
of Christ on the cross which is covered by a large tank filled with his own
urine (I saw this on some talk show and thought: "Get that guy some
counseling!").

ANYWAY, I don't think that Dan should change his story.  I think you should
try to take a little less offense when someone doesn't like something you
like.  Such differences are what makes the world go round.  After all,
somebody's gotta buy all those N'sync albums!

Dave

Mark Sandlin <sandlin@nwlink.com> wrote in message
Dan sent me an email last night, telling me that he was going to change • his
story because of all the whiners.

I pleaded with him not to give in to them, but Dan is at heart a nice guy
and he doesn't want people to be offended.

He left this letter on Brickshelf for you all.

Congratulations to all the censors out there. You've won today. Your kids
are safe.

Hope it feels good.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--