 Off-Topic / Debate / 6895
Re: The artist hasn't the courage of his convictions? (was Re: The Censors have won.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 20:54:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
I don't know whether anyone else who was engaged in honest dialog about
whether violence against fantasy characters was useful/appropriate/good fun
or not was asking for change, but *I* never asked for anyone to change
anything. I just said I didn't like it and I wasn't going to let my kids
look at it.

1/2 disagree.  By stating publicly that you didn't like it and weren't going
to let your kids look at it, you *are* asking for change.  (Not a change in
what has already occurred, but a change in the future.)  Otherwise, why bother
to say anything?  What other message could one possibly expect that people
would hear?  Were you not giving people a tidbit of info about yourself and
your family in the hopes that it influences their behavior in the future? --
or at least that they would consider it and allow it to influence their
behavior if they felt that it should?

I guess I would sort of agree with Todd, in that when one makes a public
statement about how they dislike something, that they hope it will have a an
effect.

However, this does NOT consitute censorship. To me, this is the way change
should be sought. Those who were offended obviously built a strong enough case
than Dan felt that he had to make the change. I'm not sure how I feel about Dan
actually making the change. Yes, I found the scene offensive. I also felt the
scene was superfluous (which increases its offensiveness in my book). I haven't
gone back and read the edited story, but I suspect that I would feel that the
story has been improved.

Frank