 Off-Topic / Debate / 6885
6884  |  6886
Subject:
The artist hasn't the courage of his convictions? (was Re: The Censors have won.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 19:28:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Sandlin writes:
Dan sent me an email last night, telling me that he was going to change his
story because of all the whiners.

My goodness that *does* miss the point.

I don't know whether anyone else who was engaged in honest dialog about
whether violence against fantasy characters was useful/appropriate/good fun
or not was asking for change, but *I* never asked for anyone to change
anything. I just said I didn't like it and I wasn't going to let my kids
look at it. That's after all the *only* remedy I had, (and the only one I
*should* have had) something I thought we were strongly in agreement on.
Unless my opinion actually *matters*, I'd say someone is lacking in the
courage of their convictions if they make changes just because someone
doesn't like their work.

Branding that (a freely made decision on their part to give in to what
critics think) as "censorship" is distortive and manipulative. I'm
disappointed in you, Mark. A censor is a government agent who forces a
change. I'm not from the government, I wasn't asking for any change in the
piece and I have no power to force anything.

Would that I were so powerful... I don't like town Jr, maybe if I "whine"
about that it will go away?

While we're at it, branding this discussion, which I thought was rather
civil, rather well spoken on all sides, and rather thoughtful, (it certainly
made me think about a lot of things) as "whining" is pejorative too. Why are
you using these loaded words? Is the merit of your argument so weak that you
have to resort to them?

What *is* your argument, anyway? Maybe you could clearly restate it?

++Lar