 Off-Topic / Debate / 6896
Re: Distaste for Jar-Jar (was: The Censors have won.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 20:54:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.general, Mark Sandlin writes:
[...]
[...]

Maybe, rather than taking the "offensive" stuff out altogether, something
like this could accompany future comic strips right at the beginning, as
part of a disclaimer explaining that it is SATIRE against the offensive
marketing engine that dominated SW:TPM.  That way, for the humour-impaired
or non-hardcore SW fans, it could serve as a warning to read no further.

I'm a little disapointed in that coment. I don't think it's being humor
impaired to question the value of something which shows intolerance. I'll even
admit that when I read the story, I laughed at Jar-Jar's beating (though not
nearly so much as the rest of the story). When Larry posted on the subject, I
thought about it, and found that I was wrong to laugh at it. It isn't really
funny. I don't think it's satire either. I think there would be far more
effective ways of expressing satire. I agree, Jar-Jar was an almost nauseating
character.

I will be removing the link on my web page to the picture of Jar-Jar and Timmy
chained on a deserted island since I feel that that is no different (though I
got a much bigger laugh out of that one).

Frank