 Robotics / RCX / legOS / *1159 (-100)
  Re: legOS 0.2.4 on Win NT 4.0 WS

Ooops, fixed - sorry - if only all bug-resolutions were as fast .... Now where was that pint .... (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  legOS 0.2.4 on Win NT 4.0 WS

Hi All, I've just successfully installed legOS 0.2.4 on Win NT and run the demo programs, all thanks to Lius' instructions. I did have one small difficulty though, with both the gzip file and CVS versions at sourceforge - it's tiny ... It was a (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  CVS screwup- sorry

I checked in a patch to config.h last night that had too many whitespaces and it broke the build. Sorry. I've fixed it now. Luis ---...--- "Going to California with an aching in my heart. Someone told me there's a girl out there with love in her (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP Question

Hello Colin, (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP Question

"Colin Ryan" <colin.ryan@cs.tcd.ie> ha scritto nel messaggio news:394758BE.3DEA88....tcd.ie... (...) I'm working to a porting of lnpd for Win32, but it's not finished yet... Bye, Paolo. --- Indecision is the key to flexibility. (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  LNP Question

Hi All, Apologies if this should be obvious., but I'm curious as to how I can build a windows based LNP application, can it be done? I see that most LNP discussions to date are Linux and LNPd oriented, which would lead me to believe that my only (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Help with make in Windows

Ah...progress. I have finally started tracing the function calls. Did I mention my head hurts? :-p Seriously, what I found was in the 0.2.2 on Windows Instructions, number 8 says "Change the CINC variable definition in legOS\Makefile.common to (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: legOS built on NT - what now

Colin, what version of legOS did you install? -- Gary (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP ActiveX for windows users

Hi ! I've added the compiled version of winlnp to (URL) (24 years ago, 13-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Convert Integer to String

K&R has a very simple itoa implementation that you can copy if LegOS's libc doesn't already have itoa. alex "Michael Marklew" <mike@idl.net.au> wrote in message news:Fw13p2.5yq@lugnet.com... (...) other (...) string in (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: legOS built on NT - what now

(...) My pleasure. You should really thank Professor Michael Littman, who gave me the time to do it in the first place :) (...) This is what occurred in the 0.1.x series of legOS. (...) In the 0.2.x series, you are expected to load the legOS.srec (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  legOS built on NT - what now

Hi All, I've just built and successfully compiled legOS on NT 4.0, it is thanks Luis Villa and his online instructions, that this was possible - much appreciated Luis. Hence, when I type" make --unix", the compilation process completes with a few (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Convert Integer to String

I am having an anoying problem. I want to format a string made up of other strings and integers. Normally I would do something like this sprintf(txt,"Num=%d String=%s",number,text) At the very least does any one know how to do covert an integer to a (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Help with make in Windows

(...) In Unix-ish systems, that style of error message means that it is being generated by the program yada/yada/ld. So, what is happening is that ld.exe is unable to find crt0.o, whatever that is. (...) This is rather odd. /legOS/include/config.h (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Help with make in Windows

Luis, Thanks for the info. I do have Win 95 and tried installing there ... same errors. Then, I tried the Windows install using cygwin. I've gotten to the end part where you type "make --unix" While it did compile, there were errors along the way. (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Help with make in Windows

Gary- Unfortunately, I believe that Rossz's tools are known not to work with NT/w2k. The problem is with the DJGPP toolset itself, not with Rossz's work. If installing on win95/98 is not an option, you may want to take a look at (URL) are (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP ActiveX for windows users

(...) can (...) Oh yes, I'm using GNU tools for windows. Now (for a couple of days I was busy in a HW upgrade for my system), I'm working to make lnpd works on Win32 (client lib part already quite OK, server part need to be tuned-up). Code already (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Help with make in Windows

I have LegOS 0.2.3 installed and, thanks to instructions by Rossz Vamos-Wentworth I've gotten quite far down the path of getting the software to work. The firmware works fine and I can upload a demo .lx and have it work fine. However, I can't get (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP ActiveX for windows users

Thank you very much! It will be thoroughly tested this tuesday. It was exactly what was needed to get our project running smoothly again. Up until now, I was worried that we'd have to switch platforms in midproject. Torkel Yannis Jeannotat (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP ActiveX for windows users

(...) Yannis, if space is a problem for pre-compiled tools, my task for Monday is the re-organization of the legOS archives at legOS.sourceforge.net. You are certainly welcome to get space and access there if you want. (...) Paolo, if that is in (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP ActiveX for windows users

Yannis- That's great! To be honest, I've never written a single line of code for Windows, so I can't be certain, but it looks very nicely organized and pretty straightforward in its interface. I'm sure someone will find a use for it, even if the (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LNP ActiveX for windows users

(...) that (...) Great job! But, please, give us a pre-compiled version of .dll too... VC++ is not a free compiler... ;-) I was working to a lnpd porting to Win32 (quite finished indeed), but I can stop if your version is already finished and (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  LNP ActiveX for windows users

Hello, I spent some time working on an ActiveX for LNP communication and I think that may be of interest for some of the users of this group. You can find the sources at (URL) send me all your comments. Thanks, Yannis (24 years ago, 11-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: SDL and legOS (was: memory left)

Luis Villa <liv@duke.edu> wrote in message news:960488287.393fe...uke.edu... (...) productive, (...) Well, it depends of course on what you intend to do with it. If you for example design and implement a protocol of some sort, it's a great (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  two questions

Hey, everybody. I have two questions, most of which probably can't be understood by most of the readers on this list :( 1) Is there any way that the stack size might be miscalculated by the new, improved makelx? I've experienced a problem where a (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: lcd_refresh()- get rid of it?

Then I'll put a note in to that effect- can't believe I hadn't noticed that earlier. There are a couple of bugs in config.h, too (in the CONF_X depends on CONF_Y) sections, so I'll just check something in later. Nothing big, just irritating :) -Luis (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: lcd_refresh()- get rid of it?

"Luis Villa" <liv@duke.edu> wrote in message news:FvuEJE.F7I@lugnet.com... (...) Well, it depends on the line: #define CONF_LCD_REFRESH in file boot/config.h. If you comment it out, you still need lcd_refresh()... :-) Bye, Paolo. --- "The pessimist (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: SDL and legOS (was: memory left)

Quoting Torkel Niklasson <torkel.niklasson@te...ogic.com>: (...) That's what I gathered from the docs. Interesting- sounds much more productive, too, if perhaps a little limiting. (...) Great. What exactly do you mean by "adapt", by the way? Just (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  lcd_refresh()- get rid of it?

Hey, everyone (but I suppose Markus in particular, if he's still even out there anymore)- I've been playing with the LCD functions in the CVS legOS and, as far as I can tell, not a single one of the functions requires lcd_refresh() anyome. So far, (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  SDL and legOS (was: memory left)

Well, SDL is a very good programming language indeed. Its main attraction to me is that it draws your attention away from stupid little programming errors, such as memory allocation, pointers not pointing where they're supposed to point and (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: memory left

(...) This little program scans the memory list and prints the amount of free memory: Eddie C. Dost ecd@skynet.be -- #include <unistd.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/tm.h> #include <sys/mm.h> #include <sys/irq.h> #include <conio.h> extern (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: memory left

I'm pretty much always interested in anything that anyone does with legOS.... makes me feel less lonely here ;) I've never heard of SDL before, but after looking through some of the docs, I'll admit it looks quite interesting. Please keep up us to (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: memory left

Thank you. The reason I'm asking is that we are doing our master's work/thesis on adapting the Telelogic (Swedish company) SDL tool to the legos platform. I guess the measurement of memory is not a critical part of this, unless there is none left, (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: memory left

Not to the best of my knowledge, but I'll take a look later this afternoon. If you need to create more memory, take a look at kernel/config.h, and start undefining features that you don't need. None of those will make a huge difference, but they are (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  memory left

Is there a way to check how much memory is still available on the RCX? Torkel (24 years ago, 7-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: where do I download lnpd+liblnp?

(...) ---...--- "Going to California with an aching in my heart. Someone told me there's a girl out there with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair." -Led Zeppelin, "Going to California" ---...--- (24 years ago, 6-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  where do I download lnpd+liblnp?

I can't seem to find anywhere to download the lnpd+liblnp tar ball. Does anyone know where it might be? Torkel (24 years ago, 6-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Power supply

(...) The 1.0 can accept a pretty standard DC convereter plug (look in the back). The 1.5 kits don't have this, the 2.0 kits will (supposedly.) I don't use this (which is dumb;) but many others have with good results. -Luis ---...--- "Going to (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Power supply

I'm sorry if this is off topic. I intend to have my legos program running for some considerable time on my rcx(1.0), and of course am worried about power consumption. Are there any upgrade kits I can get that allow for a dc power supply or perhaps (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: compiler question (second try)

In article (...) Building under LinuxPPC, I was able to get everything working with egcs 1.1.2. However, gcc 2.95 didn't work. I could get legOS.srec to build and download, it would work OK for turning the RCX on/off, but the first time I tried (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  compiler question (second try)

What is the newest version of gcc/egcs that anyone has used to create correct code? I'm looking into creating .rpm and .deb files for linux, and I'd like to build with the most up-to-date compiler that I know generates correct code. I have not (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jun-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: serial number

Well, the purpose would be that it would save me the trouble of recompiling the kernel every time I have to download to a new RCX. I might end up with as much as 8 of them. Other than that, I was just curios. Torkel Luis Villa <liv@duke.edu> wrote (...) (24 years ago, 31-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: serial number

As far as I know, there is no way to access it. Why? If you intend to use it for unique identification for networking purposes, you can go into the config files in legOS and change the network address there... Luis (...) ---...--- "Going to (...) (24 years ago, 31-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  serial number

There is a serial number printed on the RCX. Is it possible to access that serial number through the hardware, or is it only printed on the outside? Torkel (24 years ago, 31-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  legOS HOWTO announcement

After much delay and deliberation, there is now a very, very rough cut of the 0.2.x legOS HOWTO at legOS's sourceforge site. There is still a lot to be done- for example, it doesn't mention winlegOS yet, nor does it cover the new rotation sensor (...) (24 years ago, 30-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

  java/RCX combo

Can't find the email address right now, but there were some questions here a week or so ago about interfacing Java and the RCX. I lied and said that nothing had been published on the web about the Sun Jini demonstration. In fact, there is a link (...) (24 years ago, 29-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: DJGPP/DOS legOS Howto

(...) Rossz- I'm home for the summer (which means Windows only for now) so my deepest thanks for everything :) While I'm sitting and waiting for the download to finish, I have a question. You mention that Active Perl is needed for a kernel rebuild. (...) (24 years ago, 29-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  winlegos needed

I am in desperate need of the winlegos installation file. I have lost my own, my installation is corrupt, and without a correct installation I can't work. Pretty please, someone. /Torkel (24 years ago, 29-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: debugging gcc or ld

I found the problem. gcc hosted on LinuxPPC uses unsigned chars by default, and one of the h8300 support files for gas assumes signed chars. The bug fix was easy, but rather than take a chance on other lurking signed/unsigned errors, I just forced (...) (24 years ago, 29-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  debugging gcc or ld

I'm trying to get started with legOS but I'm having some trouble getting things to link because I keep getting 'relocation truncated' errors. In order to determine if its ld or gcc that's at fault, could someone with a functional (...) (24 years ago, 29-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Differences between RCX 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0?

(...) From what I've gathered: 1.0 to 1.5 Removed the power adapter board. Less components on the board. 1.0 to 2.0 from what I gathered a slightly newer board with a 32k ROM instead of the 16K in the 1.0. (The 1.0 is designed to hold a 32k ROM. As (...) (24 years ago, 26-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Tell your robot what to do!

I don't know if you could use this with Mindstorms or not (I would assume you could) but it sure sounds cool! It's a voice recognition module.... I wonder how hard it would be to assemble and use. It's $50 too.... I don't want to be the guinea (...) (24 years ago, 26-May-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Can you still use RCX's IR for collision detection?

I made robot using NQC that did this....pretty reliably too. The idea is you constantly send out messages, and when you get close to an object, there's a bit of feedback. This feedback is picked up by one of the light sensors, which is particularly (...) (24 years ago, 26-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Differences between RCX 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0?

I've been away from the Mindstorms scene for almost a year....got a bit behind! *grin* Matt (24 years ago, 26-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: winlegos and sort

Oh never mind. I guess that's what you get for not paying attention to your path. It executed the wrong sort. Torkel Torkel Niklasson <torkel.niklasson@te...logic.com> wrote in message news:Fv4DJ7.Fx6@lugnet.com... (...) (24 years ago, 25-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  winlegos and sort

I'm having a problem recompiling legos firmware on windows NT. When I try, sort fails, for some reason, and that apparently corrupts the entire legos.srec, and the files that are needed to compile user programs. This is what it says... (...) (24 years ago, 25-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: GA in RCX

(...) I like the multiple robot idea. If each robot used a simulated annealing algorithm instead of a GA this would require less computation since it would be working on one chromosome instead of a population. Each robot could advertise its fitness (...) (24 years ago, 25-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: GA in RCX

(...) Yes. Therefore you might want to use the truncation selection, which allows you to have only 1 copy of the population at a time to save memory. It worked for us, we have a small GA running inside of the RCX. We evolved a program with simple (...) (24 years ago, 24-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: GA in RCX

(...) I like that spirit :) (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: GA in RCX

(...) You will be. You will be... :) Tobias (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: GA in RCX

(...) I've pondered it, though not actually done anything. The things to remember are that GAs need to do fitness testing, and the larger the population that you can do fitness tests on the better. On a big old PC, it's easy to do lots and lots of (...) (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: RTC

(...) There used to be such an option, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Anyone else game? (...) Unfortunately, only if you have an older version of the mindstorms (version 1.0.) In version 1.5, Lego in it's infinite wisdom removed the (...) (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: GA in RCX

(...) Anything specific? MY Supervisor is interested in me using Cartesian GP... - Ciaran (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: RTC

(...) Crap :) Our setup would have been a hot item at trade shows :) Can anyone give me some info on power conservation with legOS? Will legOS shut itself down after a certain period of time? Does a power adapter exist for the robot so I can plug it (...) (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: GA in RCX

(...) We're just working on it :). Tobias (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  GA in RCX

- Anybody out there got any experience with Genetic Algorithms in LegOS, anybody willing to give me a little help in getting a handle on it, I'm considering a final year CSSE project using the RCX, and would be interested to here from anyone who's (...) (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: RTC

(...) No- I should have been more clear: PC->tower->robot automatically turns on the tower and is therefore pretty robust (whereas the robot has no way to turn on the tower once it has gone off.) There is no way to use laptop IR to talk to the (...) (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: RTC

(...) Glad to hear it. Unfortunately, I'm also a student, the sysadmin, a programmer, and just general (computer) handyman, so I don't get to play with the robots all the time. (...) I see. So I can use regular laptop/PC IR to comm with the robot (...) (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: RTC

(...) Once upon a time, I was paid briefly to do it to. Certainly the best summer job I will ever have. (...) FYI, The main limitation with the IR, assuming that your room is reasonably IR reflective, is that the tower turns itself off and so it can (...) (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RTC

(...) Right. (...) Yes. User moves mouse -> applet sends signal to server -> server sends signal to robot. (...) Great! This is just what I wanted. (...) I'll do that. (...) I was also looking for this. Thanks :) Thanks much for your help, Nils (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: RTC

(...) It is really fun ... some of the time ;) (...) Yeah, I kind of thought that IR may not be so good, but I'm sure that I can find some ways around that. (...) That's an idea, although the data acquisition system primarily measures stress, (...) (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RTC

(...) Quick note about legOS: it is a replacement firmware for the Mindstorms, designed to allow you to write programs in C that run /on/ the robot itself. Not sure exactly what you mean by real-time, but I'm guessing that you mean something like (...) (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RTC

Hello, I have a few questions about legOS, but I know absolutely nothing about it or about the Lego Mindstorms. I am involved in a project at my company to provide real time control of a robot (with one of our data aquisition systemes mounted on it) (...) (24 years ago, 23-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: random

What version are you using? I believe random/srandom are broken in all non-CVS versions of legOS. To get the CVS version, head to (URL) and follow the instructions on that page. Should work fine- I just tested the new random() two hours ago and it (...) (24 years ago, 22-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  random

Hi! Back again with more problems. I want to use random() in my programs and looking in stdlib.h it looks like it is implemented. It says: extern long int random(void); extern void srandom(unsigned int seed); When I didn't have stdlib.h included, I (...) (24 years ago, 22-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: DJGPP/DOS legOS Howto

Long term, though, I'd like to put everything (or at least links to everything) in one place on sourceforge- it'll make it much easier for newbies. Of course, I suppose the HOWTO has to be the first step to that :( Luis (...) ---...--- "Going to (...) (24 years ago, 22-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Robocup with Mindstorm/ legOS

(...) I recently held a Mindstorms competition and determined that battling robots was too difficult a task for the novice Mindstormer. I ended up doing a maze navigation competition. You can check out the results as well as rules format here: (URL) (...) (24 years ago, 22-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: DJGPP/DOS legOS Howto

Sweet. Sorry about not figuring out the upload permission sooner. I'll try to figure things out tonight... Luis (...) ---...--- "Going to California with an aching in my heart. Someone told me there's a girl out there with love in her eyes and (...) (24 years ago, 22-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  DJGPP/DOS legOS Howto

I've posted the howto for using the DJGPP port of GNU tools on a Windows system. It can be found here: (URL) (24 years ago, 22-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Robocup with Mindstorm/ legOS

Hello Thorsten, (...) you can get some inspiration for example at: (13 URLs) (ROBOLAB Curriculum) (4 URLs) We wonder if there is a possibility to do (some kind of) robocup with (...) Last summer at IJCAI in Stockholm, there was a special category at (...) (24 years ago, 22-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.edu)

  Robocup with Mindstorm/ legOS

Hi all, I am working at the university of Bonn, Germany, and we're currently thinking about using MINDSTORM and legOS to teach younger students about robotics. We wonder if there is a possibility to do (some kind of) robocup with MINDSTORM. Has (...) (24 years ago, 22-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  two compiler questions

Hey, Markus and everyone else- sorry to be cluttering all of your inboxes like I have today. I have two questions about the compilers: 1) How important is the interrupt patch? What functionality would I be losing if I don't have that patch? 2) What (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  one quick thing

having been forced to look at the homepage for the first time in ages, I note that there are now "drivers for all RCX subsystems." I can't find anything with the temperature sensors, though. Am I correct in this? Or am I not doing a thorough enough (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) Ah, that's all right, happens to the best of us. :) I'll go back to my happy little preemptive world. -- "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt." - William Shakespeare Mike Ash - (URL), (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) I have not done large-scale "production" work with 0.2.x, really, so I may be vastly incorrect. Ah-hah. The legOS homepage (at least) indicates that you are correct. My fault for scaring people... sorry. Luis ---...--- "Going to California (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) Ack! I knew that it was cooperative in the 0.1.x series, but I had thought it was preemptive in 0.2.x. Drat. Well, I don't think it's a major problem for me, since I call msleep() religiously, but it's something to look into. Thanks. -- "Our (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) Just that it is not pre-emptive. If you don't msleep() at the appropriate places in your code, you'll never go back to the scheduler or the other threads. This can come as a surprise, since you'll only notice it when one thread never executes. (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) That seems very likely. (...) Great :). The complete rules for the tournament can be found on the course web page, which is linked from our page. Tobias (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) Neural nets do similar things. Our class had some very interesting cheaters. I actually thought the students learned as much from watching their robots cheat as they did from any other single component, since figuring out the "cheating" forced (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) Probably movement since it is easier. Our fitness function may have to change once we see the result though. GA tends to give you individuals that cheat every chance they get :). (...) It will be found at (URL) Right now we have our (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) What sort of "issues" are these? Are you referring to the normal issues of multithreading (synchronization, deadlock, etc.), or specific legOS-related problems with it? I have a program that uses a decent amount of multithreading, and I'd hate (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) Redundancy is good :) (...) Good. It's generally solid, but can cause some issues from time to time. <snip lots of monkey talk :) > (...) Distance of movement or consistency (i.e. always forward) or both for fitness? Sounds really cool. Good (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) We have not done anything to ensure that whatever is transmitted is received correctly (i.e. without errors). What we have done is a build a system which will work even if one (or several) of the RCXs are temporarily blocked for some reason. (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) Argh. I was getting emulegos (which I was pretty familiar with) and legosim (which I though was C, not Java) confused. I'm afraid neither of them would be too easy to port to 0.2.x :( (...) Please make sure to share this with us! IR continues (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) I was afraid so. (...) We haven't reached the GA part yet. Right now the idea is to work out a communication protocol and then send a information back and fourth. And since the RCXs locked up we thought that there must be something wrong in (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) IIRC, it is 0.1.7, which used a completely different setup for the IR communication. (...) Unfortunately, no. (...) You mean, unmodified? No, I don't think. I've seen lots of code that worked, and then got "simplified" and then stopped (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) It seems that emulegos should be able to handle IR. However, it does not use the lnp-functions that I use, so I presume it is designed to work with an earlier version of legOS. Were earlier versions of legOS (I use version 0.2.3) less likely (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) I will hopefully clean up and release some of it by Wednesday. (...) I'm not sure- I don't think so, though. Someone else here may be able to answer that much better than I can. Luis ---...--- "Going to California with an aching in my heart. (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) Is this neural network code made public? I have emulegos, but I havn't much more than started it up. Do you know if it can handle IR-communication between several RCXs? Tobias (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Very strange problems

(...) Yes. We ran into similar problems when writing neural network code. Persist- you can write really cool stuff on legOS- we did. Also, emulegos (which is still around somewhere, though I'm not sure if anyone has ported it to 0.2.x) would (...) (24 years ago, 21-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact