 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1092
RE: RTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 18:56:47 GMT

At 12:59 PM 5/23/2000 -0400, you wrote:
Once upon a time, I was paid briefly to do it to. Certainly the best
summer job I will ever have.

Glad to hear it. Unfortunately, I'm also a student, the sysadmin, a
programmer, and just general (computer) handyman, so I don't get to play
with the robots all the time.

FYI, The main limitation with the IR, assuming that your room is
reasonably IR reflective, is that the tower turns itself off and so it
can be difficult to send information from the robot to the PC. On the
other hand, you can send information (read: commands) from the PC to the
robot pretty reliably, given that the robot doesn't get too far away.

I see. So I can use regular laptop/PC IR to comm with the robot instead of
going through the IR tower?

Search lugnet.com for TinyVM (I'm pretty sure that is the name.) Not sure
how complete it is. I think there was another (commercial-ish) demo using
Java on the PC, but I don't think that there was ever any code or
anything available for that.

Thanks, I'll do that.

BTW, you probably want to search for Michael Gasperi's sensor page if you
want to think about interfacing non-Lego sensors to the robot itself.
Good luck- let us know how it comes out-

Actually, I'll just be using our proprietary sensors hooked up to "axles"
and other fatigue sensitive "components." Thanks though for letting me know.

I'll make sure and let you guys know ...

Nils