 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1091
RE: RTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 16:59:41 GMT

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Nils Oberg wrote:
At 09:10 AM 5/23/2000 -0700, you wrote:
Sounds like a fun project.  I'm rather jealous.  I wish my paid job involved
playing with my Lego Robot.  :)

It is really fun ... some of the time ;)

Once upon a time, I was paid briefly to do it to. Certainly the best
summer job I will ever have.

That's precisely what legOS is designed to do.  If you mean use a PC to
control a robot running legOS, that is also possible.  Unfortunately, the
the IR tower used for communications is rather limited, e.g. the robot might
be facing the wrong direction or be too far away.

Yeah, I kind of thought that IR may not be so good, but I'm sure that I can
find some ways around that.

FYI, The main limitation with the IR, assuming that your room is
reasonably IR reflective, is that the tower turns itself off and so it
can be difficult to send information from the robot to the PC. On the
other hand, you can send information (read: commands) from the PC to the
robot pretty reliably, given that the robot doesn't get too far away.

That may be useful, because I'm thinking that the easiest way to interface
the robot with the web is via Java. Do you know where I can find this?

Search lugnet.com for TinyVM (I'm pretty sure that is the name.) Not sure
how complete it is. I think there was another (commercial-ish) demo using
Java on the PC, but I don't think that there was ever any code or
anything available for that.

BTW, you probably want to search for Michael Gasperi's sensor page if you
want to think about interfacing non-Lego sensors to the robot itself.
Good luck- let us know how it comes out-
Luis (in a hurry to meet people for lunch, else I'd find those URLs myself)

           "Going to California with an aching in my heart.
               Someone told me there's a girl out there
            with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair."
-Led Zeppelin, "Going to California"