 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1073
Re: Very strange problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 19:25:42 GMT

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Michael J Ash wrote:
On Sun, 21 May 2000, Luis Villa wrote:

Nope, no multi-threading.

Good. It's generally solid, but can cause some issues from time to time.

What sort of "issues" are these? Are you referring to the normal issues of
multithreading (synchronization, deadlock, etc.), or specific
legOS-related problems with it? I have a program that uses a decent amount
of multithreading, and I'd hate to have to fight the OS from yet another
angle. :)

Just that it is not pre-emptive. If you don't msleep() at the appropriate
places in your code, you'll never go back to the scheduler or the other
threads. This can come as a surprise, since you'll only notice it when
one thread never executes.
Luis

           "Going to California with an aching in my heart.
               Someone told me there's a girl out there
            with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair."
-Led Zeppelin, "Going to California"