 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1065
Re: Very strange problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 17:46:40 GMT

It seems that emulegos should be able to handle IR. However, it does not
use the lnp-functions that I use, so I presume it is designed to work with
an earlier version of legOS.

IIRC, it is 0.1.7, which used a completely different setup for the IR
communication.

I was afraid so.

Were earlier versions of legOS (I use version 0.2.3) less likely to cause
the RCX to lock up?

Unfortunately, no.

Another question for Luis. You said that you had to change in your
programs so they didn't hang the RCX. Did you ever experience that a
program that didn't hang the RCX the first couple of runs, later started
doing this?

You mean, unmodified? No, I don't think. I've seen lots of code that
worked, and then got "simplified" and then stopped working, but I don't
think I've seen unmodified code that suddenly stopped working. Is this
the GA code? Or something else?

We haven't reached the GA part yet. Right now the idea is to work out a
communication protocol and then send a information back and fourth. And
since the RCXs locked up we thought that there must be something wrong in
the programming.

It seems we just have to deal with the fact that legOS is strange and try
to get it to work anyway. I just wondered if we could be resonable sure
that a program that worked didn't just stop working. That wouldn't be good
after several hours of training the GA population :).

BTW, the neural net code is very slow, since it requires floating point
emulation.

We figure our GA system will also be pretty slow due to the fact that the
individuals need to be tested by actually moving the robot. Depending on
how fast we can transmit data over IR, this might be a time factor also.

Tobias