 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1132
Re: SDL and legOS (was: memory left)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 18:18:07 GMT

Quoting Torkel Niklasson <torkel.niklasson@telelogic.com>:

Well, SDL is a very good programming language indeed. Its main
attraction to
me is that it draws your attention away from stupid little programming
errors, such as memory allocation, pointers not pointing where they're
supposed to point and suchlike. SDL code is pretty much a number of
state
machines, and you control it with signals and timers, which are
generated by
other state machines or the environment (the robot, in our case).

That's what I gathered from the docs. Interesting- sounds much more productive,
too, if perhaps a little limiting.

The programming tool itself generates C-code, based on the SDL code you
produce. (Without legOS, it would not have been possible for us to get
as
far as we have. Thanks to all who have worked on it.)
Then you have to adapt this C-code to the platform you are currently
adapting to. In our case, it's the RCX/legOS. So far, we've got the
robot to
do pretty much what we want it to do.

Great. What exactly do you mean by "adapt", by the way? Just certain interfaces
that need to be provided or what?

Now, this may sound great, but there is indeed a major downside to it.
It is
not a programming tool designed for the home user, but for major
telecommunication corporations, like Ericsson, Nokia, Motorola, Alcatel
and
Bellcore, and therefor the license cost is scaled accordingly. I believe
you'd have to cough up about $50000 for it. Unless of course you're an
educational institution. Then you can probably get it cheaper. The
reason we
get to work with the tool for free, is that we work at the company that
produces it.

/me nods. Once upon a time I was an educational institution but I'm afraid that
day has passed ;) It would seem unlikely then that this "port" is for external
distribution- are you just doing it for fun, or is some type of technology demo
for the company or clients?

Anyway, i'm just curious- no need to answer these if they pry too far into
company secrets-
Luis

Torkel