 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1181
Re: SDL and legOS (was: memory left)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:07:34 GMT

Hi guys

I found this tutorial about SDL.

http://www.webproforum.com/sdl/index.html

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Torkel Niklasson writes:

Luis Villa <liv@duke.edu> wrote in message
Quoting Torkel Niklasson <torkel.niklasson@telelogic.com>:

Well, SDL is a very good programming language indeed. Its main
attraction to
me is that it draws your attention away from stupid little programming
errors, such as memory allocation, pointers not pointing where they're
supposed to point and suchlike. SDL code is pretty much a number of
state
machines, and you control it with signals and timers, which are
generated by
other state machines or the environment (the robot, in our case).

That's what I gathered from the docs. Interesting- sounds much more • productive,
too, if perhaps a little limiting.

Well, it depends of course on what you intend to do with it. If you for
example design and implement a protocol of some sort, it's a great language.
It is not, as you may have gathered from the documentation, for writing user
interfaces.

The programming tool itself generates C-code, based on the SDL code you
produce. (Without legOS, it would not have been possible for us to get
as
far as we have. Thanks to all who have worked on it.)
Then you have to adapt this C-code to the platform you are currently
adapting to. In our case, it's the RCX/legOS. So far, we've got the
robot to
do pretty much what we want it to do.

Great. What exactly do you mean by "adapt", by the way? Just certain • interfaces
that need to be provided or what?

The C-code that is generated by the code generator contains a number of
functions that are run each time a signal is sent to the environment. These
have to be implemented so that they do what they're supposed to do. For
example, if the signal is called Beep, making it beep when that function is
called would be appropriate.

Torkel