 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1135
1134  |  1136
Subject:
two questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 05:57:33 GMT

Hey, everybody. I have two questions, most of which probably can't be
understood by most of the readers on this list :(

1) Is there any way that the stack size might be miscalculated by the new,
improved makelx?  I've experienced a problem where a program (rather
large- lots of arrays) can be caused to crash on startup merely by
increasing the size of one of the arrays (which is initialized before
main().) Make it smaller, and the program loads fine. Sounds like a stack
problem to me, but I'm not really sure. As far as I can tell, the execi()
call fails and nothing within the program itself is ever used. I can
provide code if anyone wants...

2) I know firmdl3 is supposed to do error-checking, but I keep getting
situations where a kernel downloaded with --slow behaves much more reliably
than a kernel downloaded the "real" way. I have no idea if the
error-checking in firmdl3 is robust enough to make this a figment of my
imagination, or if a poor environment really can damage the kernel is
such a way as to still pass the error checking but fail as an actual OS.
Anyone?

-Luis

P.S. CVS legOS with gcc 2.91... as soon as my cable modem gets replaced
(damn cable companygrumblegrumble) I'm going to try these with the egcs
1.11 and the IRQ patch, see if that helps the unpredictability at all...
it's really irritating when your variables randomly change :(

           "Going to California with an aching in my heart.
               Someone told me there's a girl out there
            with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair."
-Led Zeppelin, "Going to California"