 Robotics / Handy Board / *8444 (-100)
  Re: Help! Hanyboard Assembly Testing problem!---I think solved!

so there was a bridge between Rx and Tx! that would do it. let us know if things are working now. fred (...) (22 years ago, 16-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Help! Hanyboard Assembly Testing problem!---I think solved!

There was a very undetcible component-side solder bridge between pins 2 and 3 of RP4. I might not know until tomorrow when I can get a replacement for RP4 (apparently I'm not very good at desoldering, and I didn't see the bridge at all until I (...) (22 years ago, 16-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Help! Hanyboard Assembly Testing problem!

Hi, Thanks for your reply. RP4 has the part # 88102G, and adjacent pairs of pins have resistance of 1k (ie, 4 discrete resistors). Ok, Tell me if this sounds really strange... R15 is installed, but tested at about 1k ohms, not 47k. I remove the (...) (22 years ago, 16-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Help! Hanyboard Assembly Testing problem!

Sam, can you check the serial input circuit. if this is not correct, then the 6811 won't stay in boot mode. make sure RP4 is a 1Kx4 resistor pack (4 discrete resistors) and not a 1Kx7. also make sure R15 is installed. see (URL) . also, try putting (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Help! Hanyboard Assembly Testing problem!

Ok, RP4 was fine. I've put a logic tester "MODA" line on the chip (from what I can figure, this is this pin that gets the signal from the stop switch), and it is recieving a signal when I press the stop switch. I verified that the reset pin was (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Help! Hanyboard Assembly Testing problem!

Hi! I'm still can't get the chip to go into bootstrap mode. I've double checked I've got all the components installed in the correct direction, and inspected the entire board for shorts, and have found none! What can I do?? I'll try resoldering the (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Many HandyBoard questions (and a few answers)

(...) You attach the triacs to the handyboard, or is this just sequencing without using the HanyBoard? Either way I can get more information on how/what he did. BurningMan... gee who would have guessed :-) Sam (22 years ago, 11-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Help! Hanyboard Assembly Testing problem!

Hi! I'm putting together my shiny new HanyBoard. I've got to the point where I'm testing the serial line/power led on the HanyBoard itself. The processor won't seem to go into bootstrap mode(ie, the green light won't go out, and attempts to download (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  I-cybie walking robot dog - Hackable???

Hi I gave my son an i-cybie robot dog for his birthday. Very impressive little robot. Has anyone done any hacking on these puppies (pun intended)? Here is one site I found (look towards the bottom of the page for I-Cybie): (URL) is pretty impressive (...) (22 years ago, 11-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Many HandyBoard questions (and a few answers)

(...) DC, (...) inverter (...) able (...) Buy a single big inverter and switch the output from it with Triacs. I had a friend do this for burningman this year and it worked great. I can't remember if he had problems with noise from the AC or not. (...) (22 years ago, 8-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Many HandyBoard questions (and a few answers)

I wrote this a few weeks ago, and could not post the darn thing, as lugnet wouldn't let me. Since then, I have answered a few of my questions, and will include them to help others. I now have an unassembeld HB from Acronome, and look forward to (...) (22 years ago, 8-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  2nd expansion board

Can the handy board drive more than more expansion board (assuming that the Y board-select lines are different)? (22 years ago, 7-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: 0x8000 and main()

Fred, Dan, and Chuck, Thanks to an email from Chuck McManis (thanks, Chuck), I now have a better understanding of what's going on with respect to the main() function and memory location 0x8000. Chuck asked me if the main() function is executed after (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: 0x8000 and main()

Fred and Dan, For some reason, I'm apparently having trouble explaining my findings, doing something wrong -- or not understanding what Fred is telling me. Now that my HB runs " main() " functions just fine upon powerup reset, I did my experiment on (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Devantech SRF04 library for HandyBoard

Yes -- I am very sorry about this... I just updated the .zip file and it now includes the sonar.c file as well. Regards, Willem "Andrew Vlasov" <vlas@dicomp.ru> wrote in message news:01b101c194fe$98...d4@vlas... (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Devantech SRF04 library for HandyBoard

Hi, Willem! Sorry, but "sonar_library_1.0.zip" is not full: "sonar.c" not found! And how about Devantech CMPS01 Compass library? It need i2c in HB. Do you plan this? ===...=== Best regards, Andrew. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Willem van (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: 2 questions on Polaroid 6500

Jan, On ribon cable the lead that has the marking is simply there to make it easier to tell what lead is what on the other end. The marked lead usually denotes pin one, but not always. Remember that the drawing is show from a bottom view. Pin 9 is + (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: 0x8000 and main()

I don't think this is quite it -- IC sets the byte if there's a main fcn. It also sets up some code so that main fcn gets run. Fred (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: 0x8000 and main()

John, I think it lies in the Pcode, in other words if the pcode sets the 0x8000 to 1 then any program loaded that has main() in it will auto run at startup. If the pcode does NOT set 0x8000 to 1 then no matter what you have loaded as a program it (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  0x8000 and main()

Dan, Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you mean by "a startup program". To me, a "startup program" means there is a file downloaded to the HB that contains a " main() " function, i.e., a function which will automatically be executed upon startup (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  RE: 2 questions on Polaroid 6500

Hi, Without a 0.1 µF capacitor, your sonar won't work correctly. I don't know why. Martin (22 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  2 questions on Polaroid 6500

Hi, I bought a Polaroid 6500 for x-mas and now I’ve got two questions: 1) In the Handy Board Interfacing Diagram of the Polaroid 6500 at the Handyboard page V+ is connected to the pin 9 of the Polaroid 9-pin connector. But the flat cable to the pin (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: JRM code and Reset

John, I just did the same test, I think what Fred was saying is that IC sets the 0x8000 to accept a startup program if one is loaded. If I poke a 0 to that address then load any program it sets back to 1. I think he was wandering if your IC version (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: main() Reset -- THE SAGA ENDS !! ---

Awsome!!! Now we are expecting great things from you :-) -Dan (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  main() Reset -- THE SAGA ENDS !! ---

Fellow Lugnuts, Doe anyone want to purchase a 74HC244 (U5) that "kinda works" ? YES, YES, believe it or not, U5 was my problem !! The mystery is not totally solved, because even using both a logic probe and an o-scope, I cannot see any indication (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: JRM code and Reset

Matt, The only mod I've made to my HB is to cut the motor power supply "+" trace and use a separate motor power supply. See my post/response to Dan for my explanation of that. After reading your START button question, I triple checked. I don't (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: JRM code and Reset

Dan, Yes, I did cut the trace for external motor power. I know the HB and the motor power "+" sources are isolated because I not only checked with a VOM, but I removed the motor supply batteries and when I run my motor test program (remember, no (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: JRM code and Reset

Since it seems like everything else has been checked, I have one other suggestion after looking at my pcode source. If the "start" button on the HB is pressed during power on, the autostart will be disabled. Has your hardware been hacked at all, (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: JRM code and Reset

Wow, What a bugger! This is one of the strangest cases I've seen. Works fine while connected, but not when reset. Works fine on my board either way. Memory and 68HC11 have been traded out. Scope shows no voltage drop at Mem-power durring reset. Both (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: IR Routines

(...) Hi Dave, I uploaded a modified version of those IR routines to handyboard.com as well as the Rug Warrior group ((URL) the RW group, I also have a version of pcode v3.1 with bug fixes and new capabilities. Could you convey this information to (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: JRM code and Reset

Fred, Thanks for the info on how IC determines whether to auto-start a program or not. Based on your suggestions ---- I just finished downloading the open-source (free) version of IC. I had been running Newton Labs 3.1 and most recently 3.2. I (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: IR Routines

These are the kinds of files I want to keep on hand at the Yahoo handyboard site, I have the sonyIR.icb file, is that the one you are looking for? I will post it in the files area of the yahoo forum (URL) else that is hard to find I will try to keep (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  IR Routines

Hi all, I've been trying to find Max Davies IR routines, but the link off the handyboard site is broken. Anyone know where I could get my hands on the code for these routines? Thanks in advance for the help. (22 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: JRM code and Reset

OK, I looked at the source code to try to understand what could be the problem. If anyone wants to download the source themselves, go to (URL) and click on the link at the bottom of the page. The following is true of the open-source (free) version (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: JRM code and Reset

Dan, Thanks for hanging tough on this problem.....I'm feeling really inadequate on this one. I downloaded your revision of my program and it did not help. Of course, if I do type " main() " on the PC, it does give your "Press Start....." message and (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  JRM code and Reset

John, I added a little sub routine to your program, see if you can use it this way. Probably not, but hey it's worth a try. Also, if you don't mind I'd like to post it to the yahoo handyboard files too at (URL) filename: jrm1.c John R. McDaniel */ (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Reset & running main( )

John, I have 105 of the Toshiba 68HC11's, and I use them in all sorts of products with great results. I don't think the chip is the problem either. It's begining to look like the pcode, I take it that you have the full new version. I have never (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Reset & running main( )

Dan, My 68HC11 chip has the following numbers: TMP68HC11A1T-3 and is, in fact, labeled TOSHIBA. I have two of these chips and I've tried both of them with exactly the same result. I've also changed the RAM chip, reloaded everything and no change. My (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Reset & running Main ( )

Man I hate this forum! Sorry, It's just a pain in the #@* to go through all the rigamarole every time you reply to something here. Anyway, I have a couple other thoughts on this subject. What is the exact (entire) 68HC11 number on the chip? The HB (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Reset & running Main ( )

Dan, Thank you for the suggestions. Like you, I tried removing the white space(s) and it did not help. Yesterday, I installed a new memory chip and a new 68HC11.....same problem. I may be overlooking something, but I don't think I'm getting a total (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Reset & running Main ( )

John, I just loaded up your version of the code you posted, It worked fine on reset. I took out the white space just to see, and it worked fine too! I would say that your memory is bad or the lm2931 -5 is bad. Something is causing total reset (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Reset & running Main ( )

Try taking the white space out from between the "main" and the "()" -Dan (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jan-02, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  fwd: Mini Boards for sale

Hi all, some may be interested in my old mini board design. If so, here's a chance to pick one up at a reasonable price. Info is available via FTP at ftp://cher.media.mit...miniboard/ . Fred Begin forwarded message: > From: "Wally Blackburn" (...) (22 years ago, 31-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Reset & running Main ( )

Fred, Man, do you ever sleep? I hope you know how much your support is appreciated. Here is a copy of my jrm1.c file. Just a reminder, if I type " main() " in the IC window on my PC, this file executes flawlessly. Thanks, John /* filename: jrm1.c (...) (22 years ago, 31-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Reset & running Main ( )

Well, at this point I'm out of ideas. Would you please copy and paste your jrm1.c file into an email message and send that to the list. (LUGNET strips attachments, so it has to be plain text body of the msg.) thanks, Fred (...) (22 years ago, 31-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Reset & running Main ( )

Fred, I double-checked, and my " main() " program (filename: jrm1.c) is all lower case letters. I confirmed case sensitivity by trying to call the " main() " file (filename: jrm1.c) which has been downloaded to the HB by typing " Main() " on the PC. (...) (22 years ago, 31-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Reset & running Main ( )

I wonder if it's because you've capitalized "Main()". C is case sensitive so main != Main. try it making your main program lower case and see if that works. Fred (...) (22 years ago, 30-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Reset & running Main ( )

Fred, Thanks for the very prompt response. Your responses to queries on this board continue to provide very useful insights. With respect to your response #1, it is helpful to know that "list files" does not actually read the Handy Board and is (...) (22 years ago, 30-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Devantech SRF04 library for HandyBoard

Today I posted a fully documented SONAR LIBRARY for the HandyBoard on my website: (URL) It uses the Devantech SRF04 to measure distance. The system is a-synchronious what makes it very little overhead and easy to use on your own programs. The (...) (22 years ago, 30-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Reset & running Main ( )

John, a couple things. 1. when you quit and restart IC, it forgets what programs you may have loaded into the HB. so that explains your #4 case below. 2. IC has its own way of storing vectors for user code like your main() program, so you should not (...) (22 years ago, 30-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Reset & running Main ( )

John, Can you post a copy of your "Main()" file to the following site: (URL) will have to sign up with a yahoo account, but it is a lot easier to deal with code problems and board problems on that forum. -Dan (...) (22 years ago, 30-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Reset & running Main ( )

Dear "Group", ....what are we? Lugnetters? Lugheads? Lugnuts? Regardless, I need some guidance on getting my Handyboard to run a downloaded Main( ) program upon powerup/reset. Here are some facts regarding my problem. 1. The Handyboard downloads the (...) (22 years ago, 29-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Source for a few IS1U60 sensors

Robert, A company in Canada sells them at a reasonable price, HVW Technologies. My order got held up at the boarder for about a week, but they said that was a rare occasion and not the norm. Here is their web address (URL) They cost $3.25 each plus (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  announcing the Handy Cricket!

(a little late for X-mas, but maybe in time for New Year's...) As many of you know, when I was at MIT one of the last things I worked on (from 1996 to 2000, actually) was a tiny robotics controller called the Cricket. In May, 2001, I obtained rights (...) (23 years ago, 20-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Source for a few IS1U60 sensors

I'm looking for two of the IS1U60 sensors for the Handyboard. Anyone know where I can purchase them? The only place I could find that carried them would only sell them in lots of 1000 pieces. If you know where I can get a couple please let me know. (...) (23 years ago, 20-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Battery use

Yes, but it won't last long. The HB's electronics draw around 20 - 40 mA. the lifetime of an alkaline 9v is approx 1 Amp hour. So that give you 25 - 50 hours of run time. In practice, you'd get less, 'cause the 1 AH rating assumes a much slower (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Battery use

If I use a separate battery supply for the motor outputs, will a single 9v battery provide sufficient power for the rest of the Handyboard instead of the 8 AA cells (9.6V)? (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Request for new P-code.s19

Dan, I am also interested in obtaining the different flavors of the p-code floating around on the net. In my case I would like to also get one for an 20x4 LCD screen size. If there are any sites with them available or ones that might have a (...) (23 years ago, 12-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Request for new P-code.s19

It just so happens that I did make a "merged" and cleaned up version of the Pcode source about a year ago. Like my libhb source, I can't guarantee that it works for everyone, but it seemed to work for me. I've just put it up for download at (URL) I (...) (23 years ago, 11-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Request for new P-code.s19

There are several versions of the p-code floating around, one person wrote a nice smooth PWM version, and another wrote a no LCD version, and I've seen a few variations with different size LCD screens. I would like to officially request that someone (...) (23 years ago, 11-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: FW: Using the Handyboard without the LCD display

(...) Hi Look at the Handyboard-webpage under: (URL) you will find the code to use the hb without a lcd bye Martin (23 years ago, 10-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  FW: Using the Handyboard without the LCD display

(...) (23 years ago, 10-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: 74hc237

I know that Mouser have the parts in stock.........but they require a minimum order (100$).......it isn't a great deal........Radio Shack is good but i live in Italy and they don't sell outside U.S.........if you know where i can purchase 74hc237 (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: 74hc237

The 237 isn't an obsolete part. Radio Shack isn't the store it used to be. You need to purchase your parts from a better source. Mouse has the part, 74HC237 Mouser stock # 511-M74HC237 , they are only $0.52, www.mouser.com (...) (23 years ago, 2-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: 74hc237

(...) Alessandro, As far as I know there are now equivelant replacements for the 74hc237. The 74hc138 does the same thing but outputs an inverted signal. If you are any good at electronics you can fudge a 74hc04 into the prototyping area to (...) (23 years ago, 2-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  74hc237

Hi! I'm a little in a trouble..... I cannot find the ic 74hc237 (3-to-8 Decoder/Demultiplexer with Address Latches) marked U5 on the expansion board......... I have two questions: 1) Can i replace this part with an equivalent one? 2) If (...) (23 years ago, 1-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  about peek() and poke()

Hello, I have some questions about serial communication of the HandyBoard to PC. I tried to write to the serial line from HB. But I found that peek() and poke() functions don't work. (I used "list functions" to list all the functions available, and (...) (23 years ago, 29-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Controlling HB using PC serial port

(...) I would posit that the easiest way is to use the serial cable. Then you don't have to do new cabling or only work with the digital pins which can also do output. Plus you're not spending your digital ports. You could also go through the SPI, (...) (23 years ago, 25-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Controlling HB using PC serial port

Yes you can. The easiest way is to use some of the digital inputs and connect them to the parallel port pins. Then using QuickBasic or any parallel port program you can "send" commands to the HandyBoard. If you want to use the serial port then I (...) (23 years ago, 25-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Controlling HB using PC serial port

Hi all, I am new to the HB world and I am wondering if I can use my computer (PC with Windows OS) to directly control the motors and sensors installed on the HB. Please assume that I have no problem in writing a program for the PC to communicate to (...) (23 years ago, 25-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  GP1U52 and Polaroid 6500 Sonar in the UK

Does anyone know of a UK source of the 2 above components (Not Maplins or RS)? (23 years ago, 14-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  New LEGO Robotics Web Page

All, The University of New Mexico's LEGO Robotics page has been extensively updated. Please drop in and check it out: (URL) In short, we build autonimous robots out of LEGOs and control them with the Handyboard. Make sure and check out the 2001 (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  PLEASE I NEED HELP

Hi! I see that i've a real common problem, that's it: Now, i'd read "Windows Serial Line Debugging" and i'd follow its test sequence. But my problem still remain, on I/C board, i notice that, untill the complete discharge of the mainboard C3 (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: IR port

Am Sonntag 11 November 2001 22:04 schrieb Fred G. Martin: (...) Aaahhh, 6.81K gives me 43kHz - I think I will have a look at some higher values. I did not know that the HC132 could be that much of a difference! Big THX! Chris (23 years ago, 11-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: IR port

see the v1.21 parts list in the hardware section, for the following info: re: R4's value. Depending on the variety of the manufacture of the HC132 chip, R4 should be either 3.83K (Digikey 3.83KXBK-ND) or 6.81K (Digikey 6.81KXBK-ND). To test this, (...) (23 years ago, 11-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  IR port

Hi $ALL! I just assembled a handyboard. The assembly documentation (hba.pdf) says, that there should be a ~40kHz square wave at pin 2 of U9 (HC04). My frequency counter shows 72 kHz... So I took a new capacitor (682) and a new resistor (3k83) but (...) (23 years ago, 11-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  RCX to Handyboard

Is is feasible to have an RCX 'talk' to Handyboard via their respective IR systems?? Which one would be the easiest to program to understand the other? (23 years ago, 8-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Inaccuracy Sonar Reading

Hi there… I have downloaded the sonar.c and it is running properly. In order to calibrate the sonar, I have placed my robot in a different distance from the obstacles. From all the obtained data, the reading always ~ 6cm or ~13cm more the actual (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Barry Brouillette's GP2D02 Page?

(...) Hi, Sorry for the delay in fixing this. I left SGI two years ago and they finally killed my page. The content is back up and should stay up at: (URL) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Optical mouse

I want to interface an optical mouse with the Handyboard for positioning purposes. What is the best and the easiest way to do that! The oprical mouse that I have has USB nad ps/2 port. Q1: Do I use the handyboard's (serial interface and Battery (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  RE: Help needed

Thank you for your reply, Fred. We finally solved the problems we had. We can not make the downloader program work with Windows operating system (I have Windows 2000 running on my computer). All we have done is going to MS-DOS prompt, type "dl (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Help needed

Hi Yuwei, it sounds like you might be having problems with your serial port. Would you try the getting started debug instructions at : (URL) let us know how that goes. Fred (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Help needed

Hello, We are using Handy Board for the first time. We first charged the Handy Board. Then we tried to download the file pcode_hb.s19. The problems we are having are: 1. We had downloaded the file once, but at the end of the process, we saw an error (...) (23 years ago, 29-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Barry Brouillette's GP2D02 Page?

It looks pretty down, anyone know a mirror? Or have a copy of the contents? Please? And thank you! Michael (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  new sony-ir, FFT routines!

courtesy of George Musser.... Fred (...) (23 years ago, 25-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Can I use the BiM-433-F radio module with an expansion board connected ?

Hi, I've seen Jan's homepage describing his robot ELMO ((URL) which uses the BiM-418-F module to communicate with the desktop computer. Can I do the same with the expansionboard. I think the problem is that he uses the SCI and the SPI. I hope (...) (23 years ago, 24-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  LCD problems?

I've started building my HandyBoard. And I'm just stuck now! I've gotten to the point where I can boostrap, and the pccode thing loads perfectly. I can do math calculations and all in IC. HOWEVER, nothing on the LCD screen comes up! There's just (...) (23 years ago, 21-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  HELP GUYS! I'm stuck at the beginning of building my HANDYBOard!~

Hey guys. I've just finished building the Interface/Charger Serial Circuit. In testing, when I shorted pin 6 of the MAX232 to J9-pin7(ground), i get the correct -10V. When I short pin 2 of the MAX232 to ground, I get the correct +10V. When I short (...) (23 years ago, 20-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Yahoo Handyboard group

Just thought I'd mention that there is an easier message board to use set up for Handyboard users At (URL) It also has a chat room, photo area, and other nice features availible. -Dan (23 years ago, 19-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Speach expansion board

Hi Dan, I love the hand-drawn schematic. Are you going to make up PCBs? I'm sure people would be interested! keep us posted! Fred (...) (23 years ago, 18-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Speach expansion board

Hi all, I have designed and built an expansion board that allows for up to 8 servos and adds speach to the handyboard. I am principly an electronics person and only a beginner at programing. I intend to make these boards availible to the public, but (...) (23 years ago, 18-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Using a Philips KMZ-51 magnetoresistive compass as sensor ?

(...) Hi Stefan, there is an application note at : (URL) information should bring you to a solution for your handy-board. Rainer (23 years ago, 16-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Using a Philips KMZ-51 magnetoresistive compass as sensor ?

Today I found a website ((URL) is decribing the use of the KMZ-51 as a sensor for the LEGO RCX unit. Is it possible to use this sensor with the handyboard as well. Could somebody tell me please how to do that! Thanks, Stefan Berger (23 years ago, 15-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  68HC11A1FNs available

Hi all, A1s are getting hard to find.... John Whitten has some at a reasonable price. See enclosed. Fred ---...--- Hey Fred- (and To whom it may concern...) I'm sending this mail privately to you because I don't wish to spam the list- if you feel (...) (23 years ago, 14-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: 68HC11A1

The A1 is discontinued, so you might not be able to find it. instead use the mc68hc11e1fn with the Handy Board. Fred (...) (23 years ago, 8-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  68HC11A1

Hi everyone, I am unable to find the 68HC11A1 microcontroller. Does anyone know where can I buy this in India and what is its price ? I prefer if dealer is around Mumbai or Pune. thanks -Rahul (23 years ago, 8-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Can I use the digital output to activate a sensor ??

Hi everyone, I'm building a robot that uses ultrasonic rangefinding combined with a small black and white C-MOS video camera. This cam uses a laser unit to point at the objects it is recording. Can I toggle the laser with the digital output with a (...) (23 years ago, 7-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  NiMH battery....

hi, Can I replace the NiCD battery with a NiMh battery for the HB ? And Can I use HB's charger to charge the NiMH battery ? (23 years ago, 7-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Using LEGO active sensors

Basically you have to implement the switched 9v transistor / diode circuit on the Exp Bd. Check the schematics for details. Fred (...) (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: Running IC w/WME

Jim I discovered that if you remove the PIF file then IC works. Or, you can first launch a DOS shell and then type IC from within that shell. Fred (...) (23 years ago, 5-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact