 Robotics / Handy Board / 8570
Re: Help! Hanyboard Assembly Testing problem!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:40:30 GMT

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

RP4 has the part # 88102G, and adjacent pairs of pins have resistance of 1k
(ie, 4 discrete resistors).

Ok, Tell me if this sounds really strange...  R15 is installed, but tested
at about 1k ohms, not 47k.  I remove the resistor, and it tests at 47k once
removed from the board.  I test contacts where r15 was, and there is
resistance of 1k.  So there is another path between +5 volts and the other
side of this resistor.  Just for kicks I verified this by turning on the
board again without this resistor, and it pretty much behaves as it did
before.

I'll pursue this line of thought a little farther, but will answer your
other questions in case I'm barking up the wrong tree.

I did try many times putting the board in bootstrap mode without the serial
interface being plugged in, and the green light just stays on.  This was the
first symptom that I had a problem.

I also performed the loopback test mentioned below.  Everything is A-OK!

Once again, thanks for your help, and please let me know what you think
about my findings stated above.  I'm going to explore that a little more
tonight.

Sam

"Fred G. Martin" <fredm@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
Sam, can you check the serial input circuit.  if this is not correct,
then the 6811 won't stay in boot mode.  make sure RP4 is a 1Kx4 resistor
pack (4 discrete resistors) and not a 1Kx7.  also make sure R15 is
installed.  see http://handyboard.com/schemv12/cpu.gif .

also, try putting it in boot mode without the serial interface
attached.  this should be possible. see the serial debug instructs at
http://handyboard.com/faq/winindex.html to verify that your serial int
works right.

Fred