 Robotics / Handy Board / 8565
8564  |  8566
Subject:
Help! Hanyboard Assembly Testing problem!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:05:42 GMT

Hi!

I'm putting together my shiny new HanyBoard.  I've got to the point where
I'm testing the serial line/power led on the HanyBoard itself.

The processor won't seem to go into bootstrap mode(ie, the green light won't
go out, and attempts to download the bootstrap code fail in IC).

The previous testing step, testing the processor's clock seems to work... I
have a logic probe, and pin 5 causes the logic probe to emit a fairly fast
blinking light, accompanied with a beeping sound.

All other tests have passed as well.  I have also tested the stop switch, to
make sure it was functioning--it shorts when the button is pushed.

Other things to note, that I find strange are:
1) somtimes the power led flickers once the board is fully powered.  This
seemed lessened once I cleaned to bottom of the board with a pcb board
cleaner/degreaser (I thought it might be good to get rid of some of the flux
from soldering).  Also this rarely happens when the board is on "external
power" from the serial interface board/charger.

2) when powering the board from the serial interface board, and I power off
the handyboard using the switch, the power light will stay lit, and the
battery light will also come on, so I may have some voltage getting onto the
board.

3) The download fails, but I appear to have com communications correct... I
can see the serial light flicker as the PC attempts to d/l the boot strap
code.  Also for some reason the power led on the handyboard will flicker
when the boot strap code is downloaded.

I would assume that I have some sort of tiny short somewhere, but I don't
know where to look.  Any ideas?

Sam