 Robotics / Handy Board / 8564
8563  |  8565
Subject:
I-cybie walking robot dog - Hackable???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 06:25:37 GMT

Hi

I gave my son an i-cybie robot dog for his birthday. Very impressive little
robot. Has anyone done any hacking on these puppies (pun intended)?

Here is  one site I found (look towards the bottom of the page for I-Cybie):

http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~wwl/insidestuff.html

It is pretty impressive robot.  Its very impressive to push the little
robot dog over and watch him stand back up.  He does many tricks including
standing on his head.  And of course, my kids have made him do his "pee"
routine so much he is dehydrated!! :-)

His walking is a little bit more of a shuffle than the movies I have seen of
Abio (Sony's robot dog -- $2500+ ouch).  But still, it moves very well for the
discount price they are going for (list was $200, Target had them for $179 and
are now 50% off that).  The 12 (14?) motors along might be worth that!

I don't see any sort of ball chasing ability.  No sesors for it, but it can
walk up to a wall, sense it, back up or move along the wall.  He moves around
the living room very well, getting traped only if there are horizontal
obsticals (like beteen chair legs or a thick book).  Clap, and he turns his
head towards the sound and moves towards it.

Much is controlled by an IR remote control, or trick mode where you clap
certain patters for a trick (about 10 tricks including stand on its head).
Voice command mode has not been played with much - looks pretty weak from what
I read in the manual.

I don't think it can climb even a very small step because of the way it walks
but the motion ability is there.

I don't know if putting a handy board on this robot would do much for it.  It
is pretty cool now.

But, hacking out the motors and perhaps building a 6 DOF
robot arm, or hack two and build a 6 leg walker with 2 arms might be cost
effective base.  I believe I read the motors have position feedback (the
complex moves I see suggest they have to have a feedback system).

Let us know if there are any robo hackers out there ready to take about this
robot dog!

Keith

PS the offical web site is

http://www.i-cybie.com/