 Robotics / Handy Board / 8563
Re: Many HandyBoard questions (and a few answers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 17:04:09 GMT

5. One application I would have for the handyboard would be for a light
sequencer for electroluminescent wire.  It is this wire that "glows" (very
cool, I might add).  http://www.coolwireusa.com  However, it runs from a
high frequency, high voltage (but very low current) AC power.  I already
have one option for doing this. the inverters will gladly accept 9 volts • DC,
which is what the motor outputs give out, but the inverters cost $20 each,
and to have 4-8 inverters would be expensive (and I'm guessing each • inverter
would use more power as well.).  Would the Handyboard motor drivers be • able
to accept this high voltage AC power without frying themselves?  If they
could, I could use 1 Inverter for the whole project.

Buy a single big inverter and switch the output from it with Triacs. I had a
friend do this for burningman this year and it worked great. I can't
remember if he had problems with noise from the AC or not.

--chris