 Robotics / Handy Board / 8562
8561  |  8563
Subject:
Many HandyBoard questions (and a few answers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 07:53:40 GMT

I wrote this a few weeks ago, and could not post the darn thing, as lugnet
wouldn't let me.  Since then, I have answered a few of my questions, and
will include them to help others.  I now have an unassembeld HB from
Acronome, and look forward to putting it together (Do I feel a sick day
coming on :-) ).

Hi!

I have quite a few questions. thanks in advance for your replies.  I've been
really wanting to purchase a more powerful controller than my RCX, and the
HandyBoard looks good, but I want to make sure I'm plunking my $ into the
right platform.

1. My main concern is that the HandyBoard seems to have been around for a
while, and hasn't been changed/updated/upgraded, etc.  Of course something
designed well to start out with will last longer, and need less upgrading,
but this goes against the current grain of everything computer related, of
newer=better, faster, more cool!  I've checked out many other technologies
(OOPIC, Basic Stamp, etc), and the Handy board looks really good!  The only
thing that may be better is the latest basic stamp, but add-ons for it are
VERY expensive for what you get, and you have to program in basic, but there
are add-ons for, and a way to interface with it, something I can't really
say about the handyboard.  So my question is. Has anyone seen anything
better than the Handyboard around that is in the same ballbark cost-wise?
The 2 things that would interest me in buying a different board would be
vision recognition, and sound recognition, which I realize are not trivial
things to implement (and I doubt the handyboard has the computing
power/memory to do).

Answer: I found this board, called the
"MRM",http://www.robominds.com/index.htm.  It is what I was looking for in
many ways... a roboitcs board that had more processing power, and memory.
However, it is much more basic than the handyboard, and requires hardware
motor drivers to made, and attached to run motors.  It also doesn't come
with the software libraries that come with the handyboard for running
motors, servos, sensors, etc.  In essence, you have to reinvent the wheel to
get your robot up and running.  I saw myself getting this board, and not
being able to figure out how the heck to do what I wanted to do with it, so
I would wind up doing nothing.  So I now have a HB kit, and am about to
start putting it together.  I hope that as my experience grows, I might
learn how to interface with a bigger board, and gradually step up to being
able to use one.

2. How well does Handyboard+expansion interface with Lego motors/sensors?  I
have read an article, I forget where, on how to make an "electric lego pad",
so that you could use it as an interface with Lego motors/sensors (and how
would I wire it correctly?).  Anyone know where that article might be?  Or
do most people just take the existing lego pad wires, cut them, and then put
a different plug on the end?  I'd like to keep my current lego parts intact
as much as possible.  Also how do you determine the direction you are
supposed to have the wires oriented?  I think the rcx does that for you.

3. I've read about people using a larger lcd screen.  How difficult is this?
Can I just plug the lcd screen in. in place of the current one, and then use
updated pcode.

4. I also found a post about people using an rc systems voice board, V8600A
with the handyboard.  To my knowledge, the Handyboard only has 1 serial
port, used to talk to the PC.  How can this be done without using the serial
port.  It mentions that it has a microprocessor bus.  Does anyone know if it
is compatible with handyboard?  http://www.rcsys.com/v860x.htm

5. One application I would have for the handyboard would be for a light
sequencer for electroluminescent wire.  It is this wire that "glows" (very
cool, I might add).  http://www.coolwireusa.com  However, it runs from a
high frequency, high voltage (but very low current) AC power.  I already
have one option for doing this. the inverters will gladly accept 9 volts DC,
which is what the motor outputs give out, but the inverters cost $20 each,
and to have 4-8 inverters would be expensive (and I'm guessing each inverter
would use more power as well.).  Would the Handyboard motor drivers be able
to accept this high voltage AC power without frying themselves?  If they
could, I could use 1 Inverter for the whole project.

Thanks All!

Sam