 Robotics / Handy Board / 8556
Re: 2 questions on Polaroid 6500
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 20:30:19 GMT

Jan,
On ribon cable the lead that has the marking is simply there to make it easier
to tell what lead is what on the other end. The marked lead usually denotes pin
one, but not always.  Remember that the drawing is show from a bottom view. Pin
9 is + and Pin 1 is -.
The Cap that is added in is necissary because of the huge surge that occures
when the unit sends out its ping. If you don't add the Cap your board will
reset at Ping because of the power loss... all the power will be sucked up by
the sonar for a split second. The Cap stores extra power and releases it to the
sonar when ping occures thus the supply power to your board is not over taxed.
Does that make sense?? Yes, you Need the cap unless you want to supply a
seperate power source to the sonar.
-Dan

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Bernd Haberlag writes:
Hi,

I bought a Polaroid 6500 for x-mas and now I’ve got two questions:

1) In the Handy Board Interfacing Diagram of the Polaroid 6500 at the
Handyboard page V+ is connected to the pin 9 of the Polaroid 9-pin
connector. But the flat cable to the pin 9 is black colored there. Shall
this mark V+? Aren’t black markings  used to mark GND?

2) Can I run the Polaroid 6500 without the 0.1 µF capacitor  in the C7
position on the sonar?
Are there any disadvantages if I do so?

Best regards,
Jan