 Robotics / Handy Board / 8525
Re: Reset & running Main ( )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 18:36:48 GMT

Fred,

Thanks for the very prompt response.  Your responses to queries on this
board continue to provide very useful insights.

With respect to your response #1, it is helpful to know that "list files"
does not actually read the Handy Board and is therefore not a definitive
indication of what is resident in Handy Board RAM.

Your response #2 would make a useful footnote to that section of the
technical reference and your book "Robotic Explorations" which discusses the
reset vector.

You are correct. If I:

a. download a program containing a function named main(),
b. turn the handy board off and unplug it from the desktop PC,
c. turn the HB on,

the HB does NOT run main().  Upon turning the HB back on, it beeps once and
the LCD displays "IC v3.1 Handy Board 1.2" and the heartbeat.

As noted in my #5 below, if I leave IC running (so it will not "forget" what
has been downloaded (your response #1)) while executing steps a thru c, I
can plug the serial cable back in, type " main() " and the Handy Board will
run the downloaded " main() " program.

Thanks again for the help, Fred.

Regards,

John

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Fred G. Martin writes:
John, a couple things.

1.  when you quit and restart IC, it forgets what programs you may have
loaded into the HB.  so that explains your #4 case below.

2.  IC has its own way of storing vectors for user code like your main()
program, so you should not expect the hardware reset vector to change
when you load your IC user code.  so this explains your case #8.

what should work is the following:

a.  you download a program containing a function named main().
b.  turn the handy board off and unplug it from the desktop machine.
c.  turn the HB on, and it should run main().

does this not work?

fred