 Robotics / Handy Board / 8548
8547  |  8549
Subject:
main() Reset -- THE SAGA ENDS !! ---
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 02:36:57 GMT

Fellow Lugnuts,

Doe anyone want to purchase a 74HC244 (U5) that "kinda works" ?  YES, YES,
believe it or not, U5 was my problem !!

The mystery is not totally solved, because even using both a logic probe
and an o-scope, I cannot see any indication that U5 was defective.  My order
for a few of the HB integrated circuits that weren't in my junk box arrived
this evening and I started changing out chips.... swapped U5 and
BINGO.....joy, joy, joy.

I put the old 74HC244 back in and the problem reappears.

Anyway, I really have to thank Fred, Dan, Garry, Mark, and Matthew for
sticking with me.

Several of you mentioned the possibility of a "stuck" START switch, and even
though I could read the START button just fine with the START_BUTTON
command, it sure smells like it was a related problem since the START and
STOP buttons go through U5......go figure.

I'd still like some feedback on whether I goofed on the "auto-start" vector
location (0x8000), but the really important thing is that I've made contact
with a great bunch of guys who really helped me slog through this
problem.....I was really getting discouraged.

Thanks again to you all.  I hope I can return the favor someday.

Now on to the next phase of building my tracked robot.

One more time -- a million thanks.

(Hmmmmm, maybe it was really one of those incantations my wife uttered!)

John

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, John R. McDaniel writes:

Matt,

The only mod I've made to my HB is to cut the motor power supply "+" trace
and use a separate motor power supply.  See my post/response to Dan for my
explanation of that.

After reading your START button question, I triple checked.  I don't believe
the problem is there because I can use the " start_button " command and read
the button.  I get a 0 (zero) when not pressed and a 1 (one) when pressed.
If the START button were 'stuck' in the pressed position, I should be unable
to ever read the 0 (zero) state.  You agree?

Ohhh, no, you can't be out of ideas, my HB is still sick.  Running out of
ideas is not allowed!  So far, curses, incantations, spell casting, and
threats have failed.  I'm thinking about a reward.....!

Thanks,

John

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Matthew D. Stock writes:
Since it seems like everything else has been checked, I have one other
suggestion after looking at my pcode source.  If the "start" button on the
HB is pressed during power on, the autostart will be disabled.  Has your
hardware been hacked at all, where possibly the button is pressed?

If that's not it, I'm out of ideas.
-Matt