 Robotics / 25372
Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:46:42 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Juergen Stuber wrote:

I think those wheels are too heavy, they require so much torque
to move that the axles are at their limit.

I'd rather use the narrow motorcycle wheels, or somewhat smaller ones,
for example those from 4404.

Jürgen

Those wheels would also be good choices, and they may be better choices than the
ones from 8466.  However I don't think the wheels from 8466 are TOO heavy.  See
Steve's post here

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=25353

And here's a link to David Koudys' page where he dropped the RC buggy motors
into the 8466 set (about 3/4 of the way down the page). (David, hope you don't
mind me using your creation as an example)

http://sparky.i989.net/legop4.htm

And finally, here's my beheamoth of a model that uses the 8466 wheels.

I haven't weighted it, but I'd guess that it would easily be 10+ lbs.
Yes, it used to be motorized, and would actually move with proper gearing--
slowly.  It has sat for several years now on my shelf.  I noticed the other day
some deformation in the structure from its weight, but not in the axles.

All of these examples carry significant weight and use the 8466 wheels for propulsion, I'm sure there are other examples.  It's all about building technique.  Placing the supports for the axle as close to the wheels as possible and reducing how much of the vehicle's weight the single LEGO drive axle actually carries.  Or at least making sure that the load it carries is more of a shear load rather than a tension/compression (bending) load.  That's probably not the correct terminology, it's been a long time since I took a mechanical engineering class:)   Using the drive hubs from 8466 http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x873cx1 is another possible part that can be used to help reduce the load that is on any one axle, although I think using these can make the whole assembly somewhat bulky.

Is your concern valid?  Absolutely.  Are the alternative wheels you suggest
better?  Possibly.  Would it be impossible to use the 8466 wheels?  In my
opinion, no.  Besides, they would look so darn cool :)

John