 Robotics / 25294
Re: What would I do and why would I do what I don't want to do :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:20:20 GMT

pisymbol wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Michael Obenland wrote:

<snipped>

Mike, a really good post.  I know the geek inside all of us wants to explore and
hack away at the NXT since it is literally a new toy.  But for the Developer's
Program, I'm going to take a leap of faith and claim that LEGO will really like
to explore their existing product decisions and understand the pro's and con's
of the NXT set as it will ship in August.

Agreement here all around.  Mike's post hit well with what I was trying
to say last night:  what can NXT do when in the hands of someone who
doesn't have all the technical acumen of the people who tend to post to
this list?

Don't get me wrong, again, I think hacking away at the NXT is a worthwhile
effort - not only for the community but for LEGO too (just like Mindstorms).
However, NXT is the next generation of Mindstorms and I believe a big part of
the Developer's Program is to reaffirm the work LEGO has already done in
addition to exploring new avenues in which the NXT set can be applied.

Personally, I believe the most valuable contributions (and highly
underappreciated) is DOCUMENTATION.  In fact, I just thought of another "What
would I do?" scenario:  Start a NXT Twiki.  I think when August comes around and
the product ships, it would be really nice if there was already an extensive
area with helpful documentation and reference materials for people to use right
from the get go (btw, it would be nice to internationalize it as well).

Documentation is always the last to get done, it seems.  Really good
documentation is really tough to find; having a really welldone source
of online documentation, all the way down to the beginner level, would
do wonders with development.  I'm amazed when I show my contraptions and
such to kids (and not the real young ones) how many of them have no idea
of some fundamental building concepts, like the Pythagorean Theorem.
Lots of them would love to build things other than what is in the books
but they get lost on understanding 'why'.  (This has often been a lament
of mine, that Lego instructions don't take the opportunity to teach
more.  It would be great when building according to the picture
directions if there was a 'why are you doing this' section on the side
that would explain that this is going to provide proper spacing in step
28 or whatever.  Of course, the language issue makes that tough but I
can still lament!)

So I vote for common man building, constructo vulgaris.

Oh man.  I really wish they would expand the Developer's Program or email me an
address I can send a bribe to someone! j/k :-)!

-aps