 Robotics / 25300
Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:10:57 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
On Mon, January 16, 2006 3:46 pm, Robert C Peterson wrote:

If you were going to be included, what would you do to help the development of the NXT?

(remember, if you had to read thousands of these, you'd want them to be short...)

Steve

I don't envy the people (presumably Soren) that have to roll their sleeves up
and make the decision.

But what could/would I do to help in the time frame from March to August?

1)  I am good at beating software to death.  As a former Software Engineer that
did software validation, I am good at clearly identifying and documenting issues
in software.  I am betting that the new development software will need a lot of
work between now and August.  Software is always the last thing in teh
development cycle.

2)  I have had Steve H. as a mentor for a couple of years and have learned a lot
of tricks for making robots from limited parts (ie - one Mindstorms set with no
additions).  This makes me well suited to develop something that could be a
standard NXT model.  I don't think that in the short time available that I could
commit to more than one GOOD model.  And, my model may not do something a whole
lot different than other people's models.  But, it will be unique.  And, I
believe it will incorporate some good design techniques.

3)  (and maybe this is the most important thing)  The best results for this type
of effort (I speak from my extensive experience developing aerospace products)
come from a team where each person brings a unique perspective.  The team I
would work with includes Steve, Brian Davis, John Brost and other members of the
LAFLRC (assuming a non-disclosure agreement doesn't exclude people) - and
hopefully John Barnes.  By working as a team (as we did just this weekend on our
T3 robots), we help each other arrive at the best possible unique designs.

Bryan