 Robotics / 25361
Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 04:20:30 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes wrote:
-snip-
The other more disappointing problem
I've seen is the blend when one satellite goes out of view and another one comes
into view. You often get a position (or track) discontinuity as that occurs.
We've experimented by augmenting GPS with other sensors which know perfectly
well that a sudden 10 foot move to the left, for example, never in fact really
happened, and thus we can maintain a GPS bias value.

You're right, I think that is the larger problem, but not one that can't be
reduced and/or compensated for.  The good part is the more satellites the GPS
receiver tracks & uses in its calculations, the less likely you are going to
have a large discontinuity when one leaves the equation.  Add in a WAAS
differential signal and the chances of such an error are reduced even more.  It
goes without saying that just any old GPS off Walmart's shelves isn't going to
do the trick.  It would have to be a good one.  Luckily, since we use this kind
of stuff at work all the time, I've got access to a couple that might fit the
bill.  And with built in rotation sensors in the NXT motors to cross-check, we
should easily be able to tell whether a 10 ft jump in any direction is realistic
or not.

The possibility that a small army of robotics enthusiasts will now be able to
apply themselves to experimenting with this kind of thing is fantastic!!

JB

I agree.  From what I've read so far, you MUPs & LEGO have done a great job with
this thing.  And I think the idea of having a select few who can experiment with
the NXT before it goes on sale only helps LEGO's position.  Not only will it
increase the chances of somebody finding a bug or problem, but LEGO can suddenly
point to all the cool stuff people have built with the NXT from the moment it
goes on sale to the general public.

Since you guys got in on the "ground floor" I'm just hoping to hop onboard when
you pass the second floor.

*ding* Going up?

John