 Robotics / 25357
Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 03:07:07 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mr S <szinn_the1@yahoo.com> wrote:
-snip-
Your *average* differential drive/steer robot
with castor is not likely to do well on grass etc.

True enough. I never even considered that type of setup because I didn't think
it would work too well.  However, a 2wd or 4wd rack & pinion setup might work.
And with the big 4x4 off-roader wheels & tyres, we'd easily have 2" of ground
clearance to the drive axles.

I've followed the information about RoboMagellan
closely, as well as other contests of similar design.
I'm trying to imagine a Lego robot that is competing
in the same arena as R/C monster truck based robots...

You're right, I doubt a LEGO robot would have the speed to compete successfully
with R/C trucks, although the rules do prohibit nitro trucks.  But again, why
not give it a shot?  I don't know about you, but I rarely build things out of
LEGO because I think they will help me out around the house or make the world a
better place. :)  Pratciality is boring.  And constantly competing against Steve
H in robot competitions has given me a new outlook on a successful robot.  If it
works, and does what I wanted, I usually consider it a success, whether it is
the "best" of fastest one there or not.  Of course winning is always nice.

I hoped you had some secret inside,
have-to-kill-you-if-I-told-you information on building
such a beasty of a robot with Lego.

Only what I've seen & read about the NXT motors here on LUGNET and other
internet sources.  I seem to recall one of the MUPs implying that the NXT motors
just might be more powerful than what we're used to (I'd provide the
conversation that made me think this, but I can't find it right now).  It said
something about the single axlehole possibly not being able to transmit all the
torque that the motors could provide.  If that is not the case, well there is
always R/C buggy motors.  It wouldn't be the first time I used a mindstorms
controlled motor to throw a polarity switch to turn on R/C buggy motors.

I don't know, maybe this is just one fool's dream, but I'd sure like the
opportunity to try (and the sooner the better)!

John