 Robotics / 25359
Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 03:47:26 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Brost wrote:

with the big 4x4 off-roader wheels & tyres, we'd easily have
2" of ground clearance to the drive axles.

   I bought the 4x4 Off-roader just to get these wheels ('course, after I built
it, I've never had the heart to rip it down - that's a beautiful model). I
always wanted to use them in a MER un-sprung suspension type vehicle (what got
me back into LEGO).

I'm trying to imagine a Lego robot that is competing
in the same arena as R/C monster truck based robots...

   I'll second John - sometimes, just accomplishing the task is impressive
enough... and sometimes, you can accomplish the task and win, even if "limited"
to LEGO. And that gets some wonderful attention (and kicks others to higher
standards):

http://www.robotroom.com/Jet.html

At another recent ChiBot event, the LEGO crowd had even more success: The top
three robots in basic line following and the top two in line maze following were
all LEGO (not even all Steve's). And out west, Alegomazer
(http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/?n=44) took first in a very prestigous line
maze event as well.
   Yep, winning a RoboMagellan with an all-LEGO 'bot is going to be really
tough... but it's still a very worthy goal, and one that I'm interested in as
well.

I don't know, maybe this is just one fool's dream, but I'd sure like the
opportunity to try (and the sooner the better)!

   Agreed.

--
Brian Davis