 Robotics / 25293
Re: What would I do and why would I do what I don't want to do :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:56:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Michael Obenland wrote:
So, what would YOU do?

My first idea is porting brickOS to the nxt. That could be cool, using
more memory, better motors, better sensors, even the bluetooth, wow...

But...

When I look at me (and at some of the answers from fellow AFOLS), I'm
not shure how Mindstorms itself would get a benefit from this. Sure,
hacking the NXT and porting a realtime OS to it is an absolute esential
doing. For us. But for a very few bunch of people outside the AFOL world.

I think, porting brickOS must wait. Hacking the system must wait. (But
won't wait, for sure...)
It would be better to create something for the normal "my daughter wants
some lego" guy, who uses the internet or some technical papers to gather
information what to buy. So, what about a internet page that compares
the old system with the new one? Some easy to build robots, a line
follower or something, some ideas what was possible with the RCX, what
would be possible with the NXT, a video, something people would look at
and say: "Hey, _that_ could be fun to do with my child, and maybe it
could be some fun for me, too".
Or I would go to a technical paper, in germany let's say to c't, and
offer a short test, nothing really sophisticated.

When the NXT arrives, the I'm-not-an-AFOL buyer wants to know something
about it. And it would be good if he can find a lot of pages to look at,
because if he doesn't like my page, may be he likes yours, or vice versa.

So I think it would be good not to hack but to check and talk about the
results.

Just my 2 cents....

Mike, a really good post.  I know the geek inside all of us wants to explore and
hack away at the NXT since it is literally a new toy.  But for the Developer's
Program, I'm going to take a leap of faith and claim that LEGO will really like
to explore their existing product decisions and understand the pro's and con's
of the NXT set as it will ship in August.

Don't get me wrong, again, I think hacking away at the NXT is a worthwhile
effort - not only for the community but for LEGO too (just like Mindstorms).
However, NXT is the next generation of Mindstorms and I believe a big part of
the Developer's Program is to reaffirm the work LEGO has already done in
addition to exploring new avenues in which the NXT set can be applied.

Personally, I believe the most valuable contributions (and highly
underappreciated) is DOCUMENTATION.  In fact, I just thought of another "What
would I do?" scenario:  Start a NXT Twiki.  I think when August comes around and
the product ships, it would be really nice if there was already an extensive
area with helpful documentation and reference materials for people to use right
from the get go (btw, it would be nice to internationalize it as well).

Oh man.  I really wish they would expand the Developer's Program or email me an
address I can send a bribe to someone! j/k :-)!

-aps