 Off-Topic / Debate / 26744
Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:55:47 GMT

   But my point is that science cannot ever address creation because it fundamentally defies logic. God and Event#1 are synonymous. Creation demands a leap of faith.

On that, I concur completely. It’s a leap I’m not able to make, but I agree that it’s central to accepting creationism as an explanation.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant that the origin of the universe (however it came to be) demands a leap of faith. At some point, logically, something came from nothing. I don’t believe it is valid to simply state that “the universe always existed”-- this isn’t a valid scientific hypothesis, but a dodge.

   This is dangerously close to “quote mining,”

   I did not know that. I had read about dark matter and was shocked when I heard the percentage, and I just stumbled upon the quotation. I don’t hold it up as any sort of “proof”; only to illustrate that we know a lot less than we think.

Oh, I know that.

Heck, I think I know a whole lot less than you probably think I think.

:-)

<snip>

   No, as I mentioned elsewhere, “wisdom” is a better word IMO. I should go look up the Hebrew word; maybe later.

I think I’m lost. Do you mean that the quote should be read as “respect of God is the beginning of wisdom” or am I misreading you?

No, that is exactly what I meant.

   Well, you gotta believe in something, and I believe I need to go to work;-)

See? You’re obviously willing to believe anything. I’m sure that your tightwad knucklehead of a boss would be willing to let you hang out on LUGNET a little while longer... 8^)

Ah, see, my first chance to respond is almost 2 weeks later, Dave! (Although most of it was spent skiing in Colorado:-)

JOHN