 Off-Topic / Debate / 26724
Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:25:12 GMT

   But my point is that science cannot ever address creation because it fundamentally defies logic. God and Event#1 are synonymous. Creation demands a leap of faith.

Dave E and I have been discussing a point of semantics very similar to what I’m about to propose, but please bear with me...

It just occurred to me that to say that one has “faith” that God and Event#1 are synonymous is not appreciably different from assuming that God and Event#1 are synonymous. Faith, in this formulation, is basically equivalent to assumption, and I guess that explains why creationists are (to me) so maddeningly comfortable with circular arguments on this subject. It also may explain (I nearly typed “expalin” which I guess would mean “former Pythoner”) why the more ardent fundamentalists are so unswayed by contradictory evidence; if they’ve already assumed the argument’s conclusion, then any further debate is irrelevant to them, even if their assumption is baseless.

I probably should have realized this long ago, but until you used “synonymous” there, it didn’t occur to me.

Dave!