 Off-Topic / Debate / 26747
Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:41:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

But my point is that science cannot ever address creation because it
fundamentally defies logic.  God and Event#1 are synonymous.  Creation
{demands} a leap of faith.

On that, I concur completely.  It's a leap I'm not able to make, but I agree
that it's central to accepting creationism as an explanation.

I think you misunderstood me.  I meant that the origin of the universe
(however it came to be) demands a leap of faith.  At some point, logically,
something came from nothing.  I don't believe it is valid to simply state
that "the universe always existed"-- this isn't a valid scientific
hypothesis, but a dodge.

Science doesn't need to answer question for which it doesn't have enough
evidence to address.  According to the Big Bang Theory, one cannot ask what
caused the Big Bang or where the Big Band came from, because (according to the
theory), all scientific laws break down at the Big Band.  One cannot ask what
came before because the question doesn't make sense.

Therefore science cannot encompass everything.  That stated, something must
exist outside of science.

Let that something be God.

Dave K

This is analogous to dividing the equation by zero.  You can't do it because it
just doesn't make sense.

In other words, the correct scientific statement about origins would be: "There
is not enough available evidence to form an education hypothesis."  This
statement requires no leap of faith.

-Lenny

PS. About dividing by zero.. follow this little proof:

a = b
a^2 = ab
a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2
(a+b)(a-b)= b(a-b)
divide (a-b) by both sides to get:
a+b=b
and since a=b, this gives:
2a=a
or
2=1

The error occurs when you remove (a-b) from both sides. Since a=b, that means
a-b=0.  We are dividing the equation by zero, which produces the irrational
result.

My math teacher in high school had that on his wall, along with other math
related oddities.  I contributed to that wall by generating Pascals Triangle to
something like 50 lines using a little program done on the Commodore 64 and
printed out.  It was still there years later when I visited the school.

Dave K