 Off-Topic / Debate / 26766
Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:23:02 GMT

   You misunderstand. How do you explain the origin of the universe, Lenny? If you say, “It just always was”, then that is the same leap of faith as me saying that it originated from a Creator who always was (God = Perpetual Stuff). My point is that any discussion of the origin of the universe presupposes some sort of leap of faith.

I don’t make a statement about the origin. My statement would be: “There is not enough evidence to make an educated statement about the origin of the universe.”

The origin being defined as the moment(s) before the Big Bang.

That statement requires no leap of faith.

   You are putting words into my mouth. I have never once said anything about atheism. We are talking about science.

Then you seem to be confusing science with atheism. Science, as a method of inquiry and the results of that inquiry, makes no statement proving the negative. Science can no more prove god doesn’t exist than it can prove that fairies don’t exist.

How the evidence of science is used by scientists (people) is another matter.

   You are taking the stance that whatever explanation science provides for nature, you can tack on “God did it.” This is not a logical argument, nor is it supported by any evidence.

Again, you are misstating my argument. I am saying that whatever explanation science provides for the origin of the universe, it takes the same leap of faith that a Creationist who claims the universe was created by God does.

As I’ve said elsewhere, and as Dave! as also said - Science makes no statement about the origins. If you’re trying to say that science makes leaps of faith on the magnitude of the origins of the universe, then I think you misunderstand what science is.

-Lenny