 Off-Topic / Debate / 26688
Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:24:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
   Well, that’s a big difference! ... Rather than equivocating on some overlap between “the unknown” and “the Lord,” it might be more precise to phrase your sentiment thus:

That’s true, which is why I didn’t say “that’s exactly correct!”.

To be fair, you did say “I guess that’s right,” without disclaiming a whole lot of wiggle room. I can accept your more elaborate articuation below, but I hope you can see that my response wasn’t inappropriate given your initially apparent endorsement of the contested statement!

   But in thinking about human evolution, a very early step (and not necessarily the first, depending on what you call steps versus qualifications, or transition states or whatever) is the fear of the supernatural, AKA God. Hence, I’m acknowledging that the initial statement was something that I would agree with, but would phrase differently personally.

Now that I’ve thought of it, I think that the phrase is intended to signify that all knowledge (which is to say, all knowledge that we glean through experience, experiment, and observation) is subordinate to the raw Fear of God. That sounds to me like a “don’t ask because I said so” sort of deal.

But even with your “the unknown” slant on “the Lord,” I’m not thrilled with the the original formulation. I’ll stick with my rephrasing.

Dave!