 Off-Topic / Debate / 26750
Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:25:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

<snip>

Therefore science cannot encompass everything.  That stated, something must
exist outside of science.

No one said that science was everything to everyone.  Literature, for example,
is outside the scope of science (for the time being).

Let that something be God.

Ahh.. see if only it were so simple.  Is it a God (all powerful, omnipotent) or
a god (limited supernatural power), or gods.  Or a selfless, ill defined entity.
And if it IS God, is it Islamic God, or Judaic God, Christian God (Catholic God,
Orthodox God, Protestant God), Zoroastrian God, or some other ill defined diety.

Exactly which god are we talking about?  And then, why him and not the other
gods or spirits out there?

You can believe whatever you want to believe, fine.  Just don't pretend it is
science, or that it has the same intellectual certitude that science does.

-Lenny

And I would agree with the above--which God and such--all great questions.

That said, the main agruement from the 'science camp' is that there can be no
God because there is no proof that God exists.

You stated earlier that there are certain things that science is ill-equipped to
answer due to the existence of things 'outside of' science.

I just state that for those that believe, let that be God.

I also think my history in o.t-d shows that I do not equate God and science.
That said, don't pretend that those that do believe that there is a God (no
matter what flavour) are somehow less 'intellectual' than those that leave all
matters in the purview of science.

Dave K