 Off-Topic / Debate / 26720
Re: We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of culture!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:39:36 GMT

   But my point is that science cannot ever address creation because it fundamentally defies logic. God and Event#1 are synonymous. Creation demands a leap of faith.

On that, I concur completely. It’s a leap I’m not able to make, but I agree that it’s central to accepting creationism as an explanation.

   This is dangerously close to “quote mining,”

   I did not know that. I had read about dark matter and was shocked when I heard the percentage, and I just stumbled upon the quotation. I don’t hold it up as any sort of “proof”; only to illustrate that we know a lot less than we think.

Oh, I know that.

Heck, I think I know a whole lot less than you probably think I think.

   But even if Margon is 100% right in his framing of the 90%, you’re still sort of leaping from “we don’t know” to “it must be God.” This is, naturally, the fallacious Argument from Ignorance.

No, I never intended to make that argument, only to illustrate.

Fair enough--you’re off the hook for that one. Now, go out and convince all those creationists to abandon the tactic!

   Not trying to be funny, but are you comfortable with the term “knowledge” in this translation? I can think immediately of two incompatible definitions, either of which might be the one intended.

No, as I mentioned elsewhere, “wisdom” is a better word IMO. I should go look up the Hebrew word; maybe later.

I think I’m lost. Do you mean that the quote should be read as “respect of God is the beginning of wisdom” or am I misreading you?

   Well, you gotta believe in something, and I believe I need to go to work;-)

See? You’re obviously willing to believe anything. I’m sure that your tightwad knucklehead of a boss would be willing to let you hang out on LUGNET a little while longer... 8^)

Dave!